Most Famous Song Jeff Beck Played On?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BadHat, Aug 12, 2019 at 9:13 PM.

1. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Mark is just butt hurt cause he didn’t get asked to play the solo.
    Which song did he write for Tina?

2. theanthonyv

theanthonyv Silver Supporting Member

Hmm, you might be right. I know he was all over Talking Book and have heard from some sources that he played the intro, but who knows.

3. cookieshoes

cookieshoes Member

I was re-listening to the Jeff Beck Grouo album “Rough and Ready” from 1971 and just noticed how the album-opener “Got the Feeling” was copied by Thin Lizzy and turned into “Sha La La” a few years later on “Nightlife”.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:21 AM
  4. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

MK wrote Private Dancer for Tina.

5. 67blackcherry

Thanks.
    MK is definitely butt hurt.

John 14:6 likes this.
  6. 75_Futura

75_Futura Member

I am a fan of Beck's work with Mick Jagger. These two videos received heavy airplay in the early '80s:

A. first solo at 3:00; guitar fills and solo with lots of Beckisms at 4:44

B. good Beck riffing throughout; first solo at 2:36; guitar fills start at 3:47

John 14:6 and ripple like this.
  7. 2Badde

2Badde Member

You would think so but it is not so. I am old enough to have watched that concert when it aired (I think it was part of ABC's In Concert series)... Bowie broke our hearts when he happily announced it was the band's last show ever. Then he introduced Jeff Beck, who came out and literally noodle-wanked away with a slide on both picking hand and fretting hand, making whining alien noises while his acolyte, the late great Mick Ronson, looked on. Please note that I do not mock Jeff Beck - I am in awe of him and very much enjoy his entire career. Jeff asked David to never release his portion of that evening because he was so embarrassed by his performance.

8. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Hmmm....I was told years ago on Harmony Central forums that "Infatuation" by Rod Stewart did NOT feature Jeff Beck, regardless of him being in the music video. It destroyed me when I learned this. He was in the music video for cryin' out loud!

Now I read the Wikipedia entry and learn that it WAS Jeff Beck.

Anyways, this is my answer currently. "Infatuation" by Rod Steward with a ****ing cool guitar solo from Jeff Beck.

supergenius365 likes this.
  9. 67blackcherry

I pity the fool telling you them lies!

10. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

To me, what he did on People Get Ready is outstanding and the type of thing I want to do.

relix63 likes this.
  11. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I came here to mention this song but Hi Ho never made it to #1 though it was Jeff's highest charting single under his own name and went to #14 in the UK, #17 in Ireland and #25 in Australia.

If anyone is interested in rock and other guitar dominant styles currently making the album charts around the world (and contrary to popular belief around here, there is quite a lot of it) here's a thread which is updated regularly on that:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...es-worldwide-some-surprising-results.2024842/

bluesjunior likes this.
  12. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Hi Ho would be my answer to the OP's question.

John 14:6 likes this.
  13. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

I wasn't sure if it went to number 1 or not I just remember it being a big hit for him. Although he has been in the singles charts several times over the years it was always as a band member and not as a solo act like Hi Ho Silver Lining.

tribalfusion likes this.
  14. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    yeah, seen the footage by now, can understand why it was not included but still think it was an interesting experiment, don't need to hear it again though

15. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    more I think about this question the more I'm inclined to go with "Going Down" ... still love to hear this tune, never got tired of it at all

2Badde likes this.
  16. gennation

gennation Member

I didn’t realized he played on the Tina tune.

His most famous or recognizable tune would be Freeway Jam I think. People might not know it’s him but they know that tune right from the intro groove.

17. 2Badde

2Badde Member

You are on the money - that song just kills me. Jeff seems to be inventing on the spot and it contains some of the most unique phrasing I have ever heard.

ghostnote likes this.