Most Fender Sounding Dr.z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, Jul 26, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hey guys, i'm basically looking for something like super reverb or blonde bassman in head form. i want a good amount of head room but be able to get just a bit of dirt at gig/ practice levels. the dr.z z's have that tone ... but ive only been able to play about 5 of the 10 models. just wanted the z owner opinions.

thanks, jon

2. m1911

m1911 Member

By dialing around the tone controls on the MAZ Senior....you can get as clean and glassy as you want. By jacking up the gain (volume), lowering the treble, and lifting the middle and bass a bit...it can really rip.
    The whole time maintaining a huge, tight, bottom end.
    Mark

3. Amplite

Amplite Member

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Z28 is indeed the closest, but it's so much different still than the Fender tone.

5. themusicboxstudios

will the z-28 break up like the route 66? i played both but didn't get to crank the 28 as much.

6. big mike

I've not played a 66 yet, can't comment, but I love the Z28 breakup.

7. tuna

tuna Member

I'd say the Z-28, but hit Madison with an email. He has had the whole gamut of Dr Z amps. I know he currently has a Z-28 head, Carmen Ghia head and just recently ordered a Prescription Extra Strength head. Not sure if he has a MAZ 38, but I think he still has a MAZ 18 combo.

8. themusicboxstudios

what about the the 45 side of the 6545 ... i played that also and couldn't get it to break ... up ... sounded incredible for glassy clean. btw, thanks for the comments guys.

9. big mike

45 side of the KT45 do stay purty clean. But it's more of a HiWATT type of clean.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

KT45 will break up (KT45 side of the 6545, too), but it's gonna be loud and this is best accomplished with a tube rectifier, not the SS plug-in rectifier.......and it's a more British sound anyway.......

Z28 with the right tube configuration and speakers will sound pretty darn Fendery (pre BF era), and I've heard anumbera folks say the Maz Sr will get ya there, too.

11. corgiears

corgiears Member

I had a Z28 for a while and it was a great amp, and given your description of what you are looking for, I think it's the right choice from the DrZ line. Nice airy cleans - not as much as a Deluxe Reverb - but a bit thicker sound. Good jangle, and glorious breakup. The Treble knob actually acts as a gain boost, so when you crank it and the Bass, the amp soars. Great club amp - probably too loud for around the house unless you live 30 miles from your closest neighbor.......

12. joel

joel Member

And z-28 has much tighter bass than most fender/fender-like amps. I don't find it too loud for home playing, especially if you can take it down 3db with an attenuator. I like mine more than my old ghia, and the maz's I tried out. It's still not exactly blackface fender though.

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Z28 ssounds a lot like a Tweeed Deluxe, but not really Blackface.

Now the Maz Sr is very capable of copping ssome Super Reverb tones with the right Speakers and settings. A Super Z(Maz 38nr 3x10) is supposed to be a great Super replacement.

Of course nothing ssounds exactly like a Fender except a Fender.

14. themusicboxstudios

what kind of tube does the z-28 use?

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

EF86 into 6V6s, right Mike?

16. big mike

Yup. with a 5751 in the PI.

Sounds like a choir of angels baby!!!

17. Madison

Madison Member

Considering the above and the fact you are looking for a "Fender esq" Dr Z, I'd suggest you try the (6V6) Z28. It's been described as a brown tolex version of the Fender Deluxe. The qualities of the 28 that come to mind is the incredibly strong bottom and sparkly top it possesses...a very, very nice amp IMO.

The Maz Jr can creep into Fender territory as well if you mess around with the EQ and set the Cut accordingly.

You also mentioned Bassman. I AB'd a blackface Bassman with a Maz Sr & Jr with good results, but then you're hard pressed to get the dirt at practice levels with a Sr...lot's of headroom with a that one. BTW, the guy that brought the Bassman over promptly ordered a Z28 combo!

18. radialaced

radialaced Member

Huh?.....a Fender.

Seriously, I'm a former Maz Sr and Jr owner. Through all that time I also owned and still own various blackface stuff.

There is so much value and tone in old blackface heads, especially if your willing to buy a blackface without reverb, (which is the way most people prefer Z stuff anyway.

You should be able to pickup three blackface heads, (Bandmaster, Bassman and a Showman), plus an Avatar cab for the cost of one new Z amp!!!

Talk about the last of the good values! This stuff is already starting to creep up, but you can still buy them cheap if you hurry.;)

19. big mike

I wouldn't go THAT far. Z is the worlds greatest value. No way can you pull off 3 BF headds and an avatar for the 1199 a Z28 head costs new.

20. themusicboxstudios

the reason why dont want a fender is also because i want a the smoother break up that the z's have to offer. i have my orange ad30 for the gritty raw stuff. i want something beautiful now. with that being said. which z has the smoothest break up?