most important thing you've learned?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by RMstrat, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Prof. O'Kaine

Prof. O'Kaine Member

one of the most important things that I have learned, and that I try to impart on my students is that all "good things" take time. In addition, these skills (good things) only come from constant disciplined practice. That means the every day, unhurried, careful approach always leads people to success. There is no doubt in my mind that this is possible. I've seen it happen over and over again. Work hard and work smart so that anything is obtainable... be it the guitar, finding the person of your dreams, the gig of your dreams, "it's" really much closer than you think it is!

Also, go easy on yourself. Keeping a positive mental attitude makes the journey you are on so much more enjoyable. I have met so many people that degrade themselves. If you are saying it, and thinking it, then you will become those words... why not make them positive words?

As far as like what is the best scale to play over a certain chord... I would say they'll are ranked very low on the totem pole of important things to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

2. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    After 5 decades (!!!?!!) of holding and loving the guitar, the most important thing I've learned is to accept myself - yes ACCEPT MYSELF: my style, my own melodic sense, trust the sounds I hear in my head and heart and try to free them... accept that I play the way I play - not like Clapton or Hendrix or Carlton or Metheny or Ford or... or... or... anyone else...
    That said, working with a metronome produced great results, as did a basic primer in diatonic chord theory from a recent Berklee grad (nearly 30 years ago and I still have plenty to work with!) and some scale work, mostly to get the "feel" ingrained; I no longer do much work with a metronome and scales, every once in a while I will spend a little time with a chromatic scale, just to re-acquaint my ears with all the notes and check my time.
    As a songwriter, learning to accept myself and what I write has been intrinsic to my development and well-being... I wish I'd figured that out 30 years ago!
    Have fun, be kind to yourself (the way you'd be with a 5 yr old child!), love the instrument and let it flow!

John Seth Sherman

3. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Jazz pianist Jody Christian once leaned over to me at a jobbing date some years back and tersely gave me a scolding statement: "if you don't know the s$$t, lay out". I never forgot it, and to this day I take out a Real Book & shed stuff. On another occasion I turned around and gave him a taste of his own medicine when he couldn't cop a Little Feat tune at all. Served that mean creep right.:D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  4. Flenz

Flenz Member

I learned to listen.

Flenz

5. aram

aram Member

what everyone else said AND

never stop having fun.

If you're doing all the stuff they said, and aren't having fun, then stop doing what they said, and start having fun again.

:)

6. kimock

kimock Member

It's not true teaching if it doesn't feel like it's forcing something on you, so my two big lessons were:

1. The importance of proper socks.

2. Wear your strap as long as possible.

peace

7. jgnov99

jgnov99 Member

A lot of very good advice here. I've been playing for 45 years and teaching for much of that. My students all have the same question; "What's the secret?" The only secret is really no secret.
    "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Practice, practice, practice.
    Many of the students will roll their eyes or make a face.
    Sorry but the truth is the truth. As a long time player, teacher, and ardent guitar fan, I can see no other answer that truly answers the question. Nothing can replace TIME SPENT!
    Read about famous guitarists. They'll give you as many different answers as you've seen here in this thread, but what they all have in common is time spent.
    Fall in love with your guitar. Drag it everywhere. Play while you eat. Play while you watch TV. Play before you go to sleep. Play when you get up in the morning.
    Most truly great players had this one thing in common. They were obsessive in their pursuit.

8. jgnov99

jgnov99 Member

Oh yeah, don't be too hard on yourself. Almost no one learns as fast and easy as they would like. Be patient.

9. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

When and how to use altered chords and scales. That's been pretty helpful for my playing.

10. dave s

dave s Member

The most important thing I learned early on was learning ALL the first position chords along with their major/minor/dimished/augmented, major and minor 7ths, 9ths, 13ths, maj7s etc.

My dad would sit with me and go over and over them ad nauseum. Didn't realize it at the time, but it was excellent ear training. When I started to learn songs on my own it was like, 'oh, I've heard that chord before...wait a minute ... I KNOW that chord!

Later, he showed me just about every position that a single chord could be played on the fretboard. This too, has proven invaluable for learning songs.

Still helps me today tearing apart guitar parts/solos and even vocal harmonies for my band.

dave

11. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

One thing that i learn everyday is

Practice = fighting with stuff you cant do repeatly until you can do it

secondly just start being a musician where you are now, even if you know 3 chords and two blues licks. learn how to use them in the music you play.

AJ

12. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

There is no Easy Button

THere is only pushing the Hard Button, over and over

Very Jes

13. RMstrat

RMstrat Member

wow.... thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!! I usually surf this site for like 2 hours but tonight I think Im gonna go practice ............awesome.

and LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Jeez Brad, I was just a sittin and a picking and having some fun, not lots
    but some fun. Did I miss the memo?

:D

15. lhallam

lhallam Member

In terms of practice: don't fluff off mistakes. If you make a mistake, stop and fix it. Make every note as clear as possible.

In terms of playing out: Stop playing when you get off beat and find it.

Lucky for me, I've always enjoyed practicing and playing. Sometimes I enjoy practicing more.

16. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

After basic mechanics..Listening is one of the most important things you can do! In a band situation to me its paramont..Good luck

17. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Fast and facility based practice seems to ocupy my study desire often.

18. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

That's definitely something else you hear from the 'greats.' They never saw their practice as hard work - they loved doing it, and so that's why they spent so much time. If you're forcing yourself to do practice when you don't really want to, then you run the risk of burning out. I've been there and done that, and I can tell you that it's not fun.

19. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I'll plus one to that. I also learned a lot just jamming to a 12 bar blues type song. Do the rythem 4x3 and after you feel comfortable with the ryhthem, riff over in in whatever key your playing in. After the caged patterns bore you, learn the fretboard alittle better. Its a start. good Luck

20. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

as a guitar player, smokey wilson gave me the most important information ever.... " don't forget who's name is on the side of the bus."