most important thing you've learned?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by RMstrat, Jun 13, 2008.

1. fiddler

fiddler Guest

1) Practice - a lot...then practice some more (and never practice something faster than you can play it PROPERLY...otherwise, bad habit will ensue...slow and steady)

2) Play with other people

3) Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti.....Do....it all pretty much all works off of those mere seven notes

2. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

hey man!

I'm currently studying music, and I can completely relate to your frustration.

I have found that the most difficult thing to do, is to create a practice routine and to stick to it.

As is clear from the many previous posts, there are endless ways to approach the guitar and music in general.

Try not to become overwhelmed by the plethora of possibilities available. Ask yourself what you want most out of your instrument at this moment in time, put it into a realistic practice table (WRITE IT OUT and photo copy a sheet for everyday) and then carry it out!

Do it.

Also, keep in mind therer will always be days when you feel like ****. You feel you're not progressing. But man, I tell you, those are the days you need to make sure you just stick it out. Play. That's when you grow.

The master artist is a master student, constantly learning and refining his craft.

3. wooldl

wooldl Member

Great post! I'm a firm believer in #7.....the goal is to make good music, after all.

4. ccuwan

ccuwan Member

Can't agree more.....I asked myself for years,,,,why do I do all the complicated stuff with my left hand when I'm right handed, Fact is the left is just a setup hand. You play the instument with your right (assuming your right handed), Try simply forming a cord and working it with the picking hand,,,,,,and oh yeah.....put the pick down....that realization was a turning point for me.

5. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

To never stop learning. Learn many different styles, they can all be applied no matter what your actual style is.