Most Influential Genre of Music As a Guitarist?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Campfired, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Would like to understand your backgrounds as a guitarist. What genre of music most influenced your current style of playing? (You may choose more than one selection if desired.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

3. Jules

Jules Member

With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    I voted anything else. I play a lot of different styles on electric and also love classical guitar but my main thing has always been alternate tuned acoustic fingerpicking - mainly influenced by Michael Hedges and Alex De Grassi.

4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yeah...gonna have to agree.

5. BigSB

BigSB Member

Can't believe you left old-school country/honky-tonk off the list. Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb and Ray Price helped shape my writing and picking. Also, folk and traditional music should have made the list. I don't know what I'd be as a picker if Cajun and polka didn't figure in to my upbringing so much.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Though I don't play much blues, I IV V, pentatonics, phrasing, etc, have had a huge influence. I spend most of my time submerged in jazz, so that has been the most influence on me the past couple of decades.

Now, I just need to be able to play it convincingly. :console

7. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Member

Voted Grunge/Seattle assuming it includes punk, noise, shoegaze etc.

Can we have an 'all of the above' option?
    Most of my favorite players take something from most styles :)

8. Decal

Decal Member

Picked British Invasion 'cuz it's true..and Garage...but must include 60's in general..and I suppose No Wave. ( but as I learn guitar it's progressively blues/jazz...plus Tin Pan Alley ) Heard Ted Greene and took an abrupt left turn... Became a Tele nut.

9. MrX

MrX Member

A little bit of everything but 70's Classic Rock primarily.

10. Turi

Turi Member

None of the above.

It's weird - so many options, but nowhere to put The Boss. Lol.

I started learning lead guitar because of My Chemical Romance.. doesn't fit in anywhere either (too recent, apparently)..

11. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

voted 70s classic rock however the whole of the late 60s is totally missed on the pole. what hendrix, beck and page not to mention clapton not worthy of a catagory?

12. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

70's Classic Rock.
    As much as i tried to do the 80's shred/metal thing, i was never proficient at it.

13. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Sorry if I couldn't add a sprinkling of everything, but there were only 10 possible categories that were foremost on my list. I'd say that rockabilly was a fore gleam of rock, as a mixture of country and R&B/blues together. My purpose was to show how "popular" music grew as an artform through history from the early 20's onwards.

I would have liked to have added R&B and soul, but there were only so many choices I could place within the poll.

You can actually choose more than one or all if that is your preference. I'll amend the original post to show that more than one choice can be made.

14. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

OP;
    thanks for adjusting the thread to vote for more than one genre.

Since I am a child of the 1970's, Stephen Stills is a major influence on my guitar playing ( electric and acoustic)
    And he covered everything ( including Cuban bluegrass)

15. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

"anything else" for me.
    Country, Funk/Soul/Nile Rodgers, and '80s music(New Wave, Johnny Marr, The Cure, The Cars, The Police, etc. but not so much hair bands or metal). Those three pretty much sum up my playing influences these days.

16. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

R&R and jazz cut their teeth on the blues as did country.

17. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Agree with you on R&R, couldn't disagree with you more on jazz and country. Especially country. Blues had very very very little to do with the formative years of country music.

18. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

It's the difficult kind of question that will get vastly different results depending on the subjectivity of the responder and exact wording of the question.

The vast majority of what I play today is traditionally blues based, if not straight up trad blues, BUT
    ...my early playing inspiration and influence is 70s and 80s metal and classic rock. It took me years of work to not sound like Tony Iommi and Angus Young.
    Also- it may be interesting to note that the introspective guitar player who doesn't play blues at all, say, Seattle style grunge, or southern hard rock, may still determine that traditional blues is the foundation upon which their playing is based. Look at DEVO. Their guitar foundation is country and surf.

If you're asking where I CAME from as a player, that's a different question than what I AM currently playing, and it is a slightly different question to ask what I think the foundation is for what I am currently playing.

19. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Like a lot of other people, as a kid when I heard EVH for the first time that was IT for me...

20. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Grew up with prog metal, but the genres that influenced my writing the most are probably Brit-pop or Shoegazer.