Most Knowledgeable Pedal Dealer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radiohead625, Jan 29, 2012.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

So say I have a specific tone in mind and I need help finding the right pedal(s), who would be the place to call to point me in the right direction? It would be a plus if they were able to listen to an album and give me pointers on achieving certain tones.

2. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

TGP would be your best bet.

People ask questions like yours everyday here.

What did you have in mind?

3. Fubba

Fubba Member

^this

4. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

proguitarshop always gives honest opinions

Brad at tonefactor has a good ear...

make 'n music ripped me off !!

5. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Oh I know this place is the best, but I feel like i've asked the same question here before, maybe a few times. The answers just didn't seem right for this particular question. Partly because I know what's on Russell Marsden's (band of skulls) pedalboard, but I can't figure out how he got the tones on their first album. They are some of the most kick ass tones and the overdrive/distortion he gets are my favorite tones besides Auerbach. Everyone says it sounds like a Rat and I know he has one on his board, but it sounds too full on the record to be just a rat. I don't know, I just want to be able to nail his sounds on the album for certain tracks such as Bomb, Light of the morning, Patterns, Blood, and Friends.:bonk

6. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

Law of averages tells you that if you're not getting the answers you need to a very specific question from an open forum, it's less likely that you'll find the answer from a specific dealer.

Added to this, you're asking how to nail his studio tones with a single pedal. Are you using the exact same amps and guitars as the player in question.

7. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

From my experience, this forum has an amazing pool of talent, including pedal/guitar/amp builders but as far as retailers are concerned, I've had great luck with proguitarshop, musictoyz and prymaxevintage.

They've always been professional, never dictate, just suggest and all three have a solid return policy should you not be happy with a choice you made.

8. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Well i'm not trying to get the sound by using just one pedal. It doesn't matter how many pedals it takes, i've tried a few combinations. I'm working on getting a JM, but I have plenty of single coil and p-90 guitars. I also have a fender deville 2x12 which is what he used to record the album. I'm definitely not saying you guys don't know what your talking about because you've helped me on a great deal of my other questions. This one is just bothering me because it is very close to the sound i've had in my head all these years.

9. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Ok thanks guys i'll give proguitarshop, Prymaxe vintage, and musictoyz a call to see what they recommend.

10. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

I always hear stories about Make 'n Music...I purchased a Fetto from them, and despite having to pay the unacceptable FedEx shipping rate, I really don't have any qualms.

11. 10strings

10strings Member

Cory @ Prymaxe Vintage

12. Zero G

Zero G Member

Stu and Mike G. at Fat Sound Guitars. :dude

13. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

14. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Just listened to "light of the morning." It sounds like a rat + cranked amp to me and kinda similar to the rat tones Jason Simon gets with Dead Meadow.

15. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

2nd this recommendation. Very knowledgeable plus a good git picker in his own right...;)

16. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Thanks man... I just checked out more of their stuff and it does have a similar tone. Not quite the same, but still close. I only knew one of their songs until now. lol I feel like I'm high jacking my own thread:p