• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Most "Les Paul" sounding tele?

bigben55

I like Fender/25.5" scale guitars. Currently have a 1993 USA G&L Legacy and a tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy that I gutted and upgraded (all electronics and pickups). Love both of these guitars; they're keepers. These days I gravitate to the Bluesboy. I'm thinking about adding a 3rd guitar, but know buying a Gibson will leave me disappointed. I love that tone, buy struggle to play them. I need the string tension (play 11s with a high action).

So what tele sounds most Les Paul like? I understand the fundamental differences that MAKE them sound different (wood, neck joint, bridge, etc). I know a tele can't "be" a LP. BUT, which current tele style guitar sounds closest?

bigben55

For sure, I'm looking at a 2 humbucker tele, probably with a stop tail bridge. But I don't think humbuckers alone will make that tone. My Bluesboy on the neck pickup (a SD Jazz, full size) still doesn't sound like a LP to me. It's ash, with a maple neck and std tele bridge though. How much closer would mahogany get me? Maple capped mahogany? Ebony fretboard? Etc?

Reactions: rsm

Guitarworks

Dat is soooo nice. I like. I used to put hums in my homebuilt strats but stopped doing that 25 years ago - it just started looking silly to me. But I'll put 2 hums in a telecaster all day. And that whatcha got there....is cool.

Reactions: rsm

Presc

Hamer made a neat guitar called the Talladega that would fit the bill. Tele shape and scale, but a mahogany body/maple top. I think there was a regular Talladega that had custom HB-sized single coils and a hardtail, and then a Talladega Pro with humbuckers and LP-style hardware/electronics. Too bad they stopped making them, but a cool used option.

bigben55

^wow! A guitar I've never seen or heard of! That's killer. Did Hamer USA make any other Fender scale non superstrat electrics?

JCM 800

Even with dual backers you won't be close. The construction and woods are very different between the two guitars.

BADHAK

Just get a LP and set it up like your Fenders. If you play it ALOT (exclusively) you will learn to like it, and maybe even love it. Let a Tele be a Tele and a LP be LP.

bigben55

Just get a LP and set it up like your Fenders. If you play it ALOT (exclusively) you will learn to like it, and maybe even love it. Let a Tele be a Tele and a LP be LP.
The last 2 Gibson-style guitars I owned (LP and a 335), I wanted to love. Really. I DID love their tone. But my hands just werent having it. Fingers felt cramped, I over bent and shook everything. I like to have to "fight the guitar" a little. I wish this wasn't the case.

If i came across a smoking deal on a LP, one where if i sold it I may make a buck or two, I'd give it another shot. But sadly, I think I'm one of those "can't play Gibsons" guys. Been playing 28 years.

Would love that Hamer or long scale LP, but those a a little out of my range right now.

guitararmy

Tom Anderson's Cobra may look like a Tele, but it has a bolt-on mahogany neck with a 24 3/4" scale length, maple top over a mahogany body, and humbuckers...

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
MJT makes 2 hb tele bodies. Warmoth sells 24.75 conversion necks. There are used gibson hbs to be found for reasonable prices on the internet. I think I see a solution to your dilemma!!

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Didn't Gibson make a 25.5" Les Paul in the last few years?
Yeah:

However, they are Custom Shop guitars and not cheap. I'm a fan:

I grabbed one in each color with the 59 profile before they went off the radar. They pop up on occasion. No weight relief (good/light woods), great pickups, very comfy -- my #1 is pictured above. My only wish was that they would have offered them with P90s as well :)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/CS-Les-Paul-Long-Scale.aspx

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom