Most neutral/versatile DISTORTION goosers in front of low/medium gain ODs/boosts - in a mini 1590A p

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tim Bowen, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Most neutral/versatile DISTORTION goosers in front of low/medium gain ODs/boosts - in a mini 1590A pedal

----------------------------------

What mini/1590A distortion pedals have you used in front of low/medium gain drives to goose them that sound like a higher gain, natural extension of that base tone, without pronounced EQ shifts or other attributes that fatigue the ear after time? Something that's reasonably tight and articulate, but without dropping a lot of bass like a RAT, for example?

Not looking for pedal tandem stacking pairs, looking for a small distortion pedal that works well in front of low/medium gainers in general, such as Timmy, RC Booster, Wampler Euphoria, Blues Driver, etc.

The stipulations are mini/1590A, as nothing else will fit, and it's gotta be a distortion, not a higher gain overdrive or fuzz (it's a stacking gain character thing).

Character of the clipping I'm open to, could be searing or smooth.

I have a few and I keep swapping them around on my live boards. Wondering if there's something out there that would put all the swapping to rest. I've used Mooer Black Secret, Mooer Solo, Xotic SL Drive (yes, have used all the internal DIPs). What am I overlooking that's in line with my description?