Most obscure killer sounding amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fusion01, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Gold Supporting Member

Most excellent Kerry. Brilliant!!:bow

2. Non-Contradiction

Non-Contradiction Member

They're not too obscure but Tube Works Rt-902 or Rt-922 along with the Hafler T3 or T2 are both great sounding preamps that usually sell for pretty low.

3. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

4. TheHeavy

TheHeavy Member

This quite possibly is the last amp Gar ever built before he passed, right now its getting a "once over" by Gars old right hand man. I was lucky enough to trade it straight up for an old MusicMan RD112 that I payed 50 bucks for and never used!!

Talk about rare, you cannot buy this no matter how hard you look or how much cash you got. I feel very fortunate and its in perfect/showroom condition.

although for the right price.....pm me ;)

sorry the picture sucks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  5. jay42

jay42 Member

There's the Earth amp used on Eliminator. I don't know the model name. Also, the Yamaha line Paul Rivera designed...G100?

6. gstan

gstan Member

:bongDuuuude, I think you just provided probable cause.

7. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    obtainium: Juke Coda
    unobtainium: Heiko Frost Siren (heard at tonegurus' a few years ago at an ampfest. only 1 or 2 made)

:cool:

8. Rob Gee

Rob Gee Member

Though not exactly what I would call obscure, I will absolutely second this in respect to the design made with a choke, which is a gem I'm quite familliar with owning and playing. :JAM

-Rob Gee

9. TheHeavy

TheHeavy Member

For what, rolling tobacco?? Thats how it comes when you got the hook-up at a cigarette factory, although free tobacco in bulk is more like a death sentence then a hook-up.:rotflmao

10. Rob Gee

Rob Gee Member

Ampeg B25 and B25b are highly regarded by Ampeg enthusiasts, myself included. Paired with my (quite bastardized) PRS Santana SE, Zvex Box-Of-Rock, 60's Basketweave Marshall 412 and its unoriginal Vintage 30's, the ones I own turn heads at nearly every show my band plays. Though, I do play in a sort of progressive hardcore/punk band, and run the amp on 4 or 5 with a tasteful amount of boost and gain from my BOR.

I can't not mention my other guitarists Bedrock Lead 50 is an incredible representation of a modernized JTM/JMP. The power section is, from what I understand, quite similar to the old Marshalls from the classic era, and shows what an intelligent designer can STILL do to personalize, yet still obviously maintain, the sound you know and love as a Marshall.

If you care to hear them paired together, http://matahari.bandcamp.com. These amps don't **** around. :)

11. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

The Working Dog line from Alessandro isn't really obscure but do their thing quite well. Other "small brands" that make great stuff that I've owned: Sommatone, Quidley, Snider, and Wallace.

12. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

I'll second the Selmer pre-1970. Supposedly the amp that Free guitarist Paul Kossoff used, at least to record with. Plus, they look freakin' killer with the fake alligator-skin tolex.[​IMG]

13. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Heavy: What is that Garnet?? How does it sound?
    MD

14. 62deluxe

62deluxe Member

Samamp
    I have two, a VAC45 (two preamps - Amer. and Brit, w/6L6s and a 12" Jensen Neo) and a VAC 23 (just the Amer. preamp w/6V6s and a 15" Jensen alnico). Both are increadibly toneful. Basically a tweed Fender sound breaking out into an early Marshall sound. The VAC circuit is a very useful power limiting circuit, lets you sound like you're running flat out at several different power/volume settings. Have a bunch of other great amps (Zinky, Marshall, Fender, Mesa), but these guys get most of the play.

15. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

i loved this

16. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Bogen VP12, record player circa 1950's, pre amp 6av6 pre (1/2 of a 12ax7), 5y3gt rectifier, and se 6L6, 12" alnico jensen stored...using a big weber alnico. Cap, filter and slight tweed voicing by Skip Simmons who said he'd never seen one before and was quite impressed by its ability and tone...and that it could run any of the big bottles brethren without any problem. Tweed Monster gets played every day :D.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Brian Wallace

Brian Wallace Member

The Wallace is fine sounding indeed but not so obscure.

I do have a couple of Alamo's one of which looks just like the one in this thread.

18. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Dan Torres Bakersfield amp. Based on an old Standel circuit.
    Plain Jane package- but one of the richest cleans I have heard.

Only one built as far as I know. Truly one of the best amps I have played.

19. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Something curently made and available; Port City 12

20. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Member

+1 Any Selmer is going be a good amp, but there is no denying the pre-70s ones are something very special and under appreciated. It's hard to beat a mid 60s Zodiac, Thunderbird, or T'n'B 50. I love my Selmer Zodiac Twin 30 and it's not even finished being rehoused/furbished.

Second on the Sovtek as well. Sovtek amps are great, but they're becoming a bit more well known lately I think. I love my Mig 30.