Most OD can run at 12 or 18 volts right?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Mar 31, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Any reason they shouldn't be able to? The op-amps handle it okay in most cases correct? Thinking the other circuitry should as well.

Never power a digital pedal other than rated unless they state it but with analog OD pedals...I am thinking it should be okay, am I right?

Specifically, thinking about the Jekyll & Hyde pedal.

Anyone know?

2. geetarman

geetarman Member

No not necessarily depends on the components used check the board because alot of them have a voltage rating on them or check with the builder that's always wise.

3. r080

r080 Member

The capacitors are what you should worry about. I have a first generation JKH1, and I think the caps were rated 16V. They upgraded the audio signal caps on the new one, but I would check the electrolytics in the power section.

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Without knowing for sure the pedal is designed to handle 18 volts, I wouldn't go above 12 volts. Like r080 said, many of the caps are only rated at 16 volts, and some op-amps even have an upper limit as low as 14 volts. I'd check with the manufacturer first, to be sure.

/Andreas

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks guys! I will check the caps, etc. but as far as the manufacturer, definitely I ought to check with them (VS is not great at returning email in my experience) but am also aware that a number of manufacturers cover their derrieres, meaning..it is a lose-lose situation for them if they say "yeah that should work" even if it should...because it is non-standard and they know some nimrod is going to apply the wrong voltage and want the pedal repaired for free, etc.

All the resistors ought to handle it, so really like you guys mention, if I check the specs on the op-amp, see if there is a regulator (probably isn't but if there is it won't do any good to raise the input voltage cause it would just regulate it down again to 9vdc), and check the caps to see what ratings they are. If I can convince myself it all looks okay, I'm willing to risk (and take the loss if I am wrong) it.

Just thought I would ask too in case anyone has already done it and knows that it works.