• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Most out of place lyrics

Headshok

I was listening to David Bowie's masterpiece, "Lazarus". Such a beautiful, melancholy song that really hits me deep in my soul. And then one of the lyrics, "I was looking for your ass", comes out of nowhere. WTF? Did I miss some hidden meaning at some point in the song? So I started thinking if there were other songs that jarred a listener with lyrics that at first listen make no sense. Is there some deeper hidden meaning that everyone but me knows about? What say you, ye all knowing all seeing seers of TGP....is there hidden meaning to this lyric and what are some other songs that you know of that do this?

Last edited:

Misterbulbous

Although not as big as Lennon or Bowie, it's hard to argue that King's X's "Fishbowl Man" has a very bizarre spoken word interlude in the middle of the song.

External internal constant longings
Inside out flacid dreams
Silver wings
Memory fading
The future snarls
She brings me a plate of black eyed sneers

Waves crashing
Forest burns
Forced to impregnate itself to be freed
Crack the whip
The horse has no conscience
Whether to live or merely receed
Pedastal landscapes manical reverence
Naked she lies
Clothed she pretends
My god I can't stand it
The systems the basics
Humanity swearing because it's been born
Non speaking monarch from fairy tale mishap
Chartered a boat to visit my pain
We talked for hours then it all became clear
Simply because I'm a Fishbowl man

epo

"It was 20 years ago today..."

From when the lyric was written?
From when the song was recorded?
From when I bought the album?
From just last week when I heard it on the classic rock station?

Nothing wrong with the lyric but it just always felt odd to me. Perhaps it is just specifically timeless. ;)

Floyd Eye

"It was 20 years ago today..."

From when the lyric was written?
From when the song was recorded?
From when I bought the album?
From just last week when I heard it on the classic rock station?

Nothing wrong with the lyric but it just always felt odd to me. Perhaps it is just specifically timeless. ;)

Sgt. Pepper was one of the first concept albums. The entire thing was intended to come off like a show. Almost no lyrics in that album ( or most Beatles albums) were intended to be taken literally.

Ferg Deluxe

Platinum Supporting Member
I was listening to David Bowie's masterpiece, "Lazarus". Such a beautiful, melancholy song that really hits me deep in my soul. And then one of the lyrics, "I was looking for your ass", comes out of nowhere. WTF? Did I miss some hidden meaning at some point in the song? So I started thinking if there were other songs that jarred a listener with lyrics that at first listen make no sense. Is there some deeper hidden meaning that everyone but me knows about? What say you, ye all knowing all seeing seers of TGP....is there hidden meaning to this lyric and what are some other songs that you know of that do this?

I would say that "Plastic fantastic lobster telephone," from The Cult song Aphrodisiac Jacket is an "out of place lyric". But while it's odd, I can't say it's out of place for them. I doubt they'll be honored with a Nobel prize in Literature anytime soon unless "smokestack lightning!" has a much deeper meaning that has escaped us all over the past three decades.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Although not as big as Lennon or Bowie, it's hard to argue that King's X's "Fishbowl Man" has a very bizarre spoken word interlude in the middle of the song.

External internal constant longings
Inside out flacid dreams
Silver wings
Memory fading
The future snarls
She brings me a plate of black eyed sneers

Waves crashing
Forest burns
Forced to impregnate itself to be freed
Crack the whip
The horse has no conscience
Whether to live or merely receed
Pedastal landscapes manical reverence
Naked she lies
Clothed she pretends
My god I can't stand it
The systems the basics
Humanity swearing because it's been born
Non speaking monarch from fairy tale mishap
Chartered a boat to visit my pain
We talked for hours then it all became clear
Simply because I'm a Fishbowl man
Great band, not the greatest lyrics. Downright cringe-inducing, at times.

Headshok

The only reason I bring up "Lazarus" is that it is such a sublime, ethereal song about life, death and the emotions surrounding it and then all of a sudden, "I was looking for your ass" with a sharp repeat on at the end of the phrase, no less. Just so out of place. Still a great song. I just think there may have been a cranial fart of some type when David was writing the lyric.

Duffy Pratt

Just watched a video the other day where Dewey explained that the lyric didn't mean anything and just sounded good in the song to him.
Which is lazy lyric writing at its best. Yes was good at that sort of thing too. Ten true summers we'll be there and laughing too.

Floyd Eye

Which is lazy lyric writing at its best. Yes was good at that sort of thing too. Ten true summers we'll be there and laughing too.

Hey man, Roundabout is awesome. Sure the lyrics aren't as meaningful as Heart of the Sunrise or Starship Trooper, but still. :)

Music is a listening experience. It's not always easy to write lyrics that mean something AND fit the song.

Speaking of stupid lyrics though how about "Made of silver not of clay" in Wheel in the Sky? That's pretty F'in stupid right there. Way worse than Ten True summers we'll be there and laughing too.

Duffy Pratt

It's hard to write good lyrics that fit the song, but I think it's lazy to opt for stuff that simply sounds good. And it doesn't have to be particularly meaningful: I'd prefer boysenberry more than any ordinary jam, I'm a Citizens for Boysenberry Jam fan...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom