• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

? Most pedal frendly amp?

joemiracle220

Im really a pedal guy when it comes down to it. ive never been satisfied with a multi channel amp. I used to have a DR.Z Stangray. which was great but i had to sell it a while back and have been ampless sense. I would like something no more than 50 watts nice 3d clean comparable to the DR.z stuff. something either 112 or 210 so its not a back breaker. fender like in the mids. what do you think? somewher around 1500 is where id like to stay can go up a little or down a lot in price range :)

Blue Strat

What kind of pedals? OD pedals and delay/reverb pedals "want" different attributes in the amp that follows them.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
My Tungsten Crema Wheat produces some of the most beautiful, 3D-sounding cleans I've ever heard, and it LOVES pedals of all shapes, sizes and varieties! :) There are a few in the emporium right now for sale within your price range.

joemiracle220

What kind of pedals? OD pedals and delay/reverb pedals "want" different attributes in the amp that follows them.
everything OD delay reverb etc

My Tungsten Crema Wheat produces some of the most beautiful, 3D-sounding cleans I've ever heard, and it LOVES pedals of all shapes, sizes and varieties! :) There are a few in the emporium right now for sale within your price range.
thanks for the heads up ill look into them

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
to be honest, my Princeton Reverb Reissue takes pedals the best out of all my amps, which include a blackface Fender Twin Reverb, a Reeves, and a Morgan. The Morgan is a VERY close second.

Silent Sound

What do you mean by "Fender like in the mids"? Are we talking Blackface, brown, tweed? There's been a lot of variation in Fender mids over the years.

Most any amp should be pedal friendly. I've rarely ran across an amp that didn't do well with pedals. Occasionally I'll find a specific OD pedal that doesn't work well with a specific amp, but that's rare, and usually just about every other OD pedal will work fine with that amp and vice versa. Pretty much any tube amp with a good clean sound should make an excellent pedal platform.

A few more questions. Does it have to be new or are you okay with used? Are vintage amps okay? Modern PCB? Or are you a boutique only type of person? Do you need reverb? Tremolo? Effects loop?

darkstriker

Absolutely love my Badcat. It's a Black Cat 30R. Really depends on the clean sound you prefer. Vox and Vox-like amps tend to take pedals like a champ as do Fender amps, although the base sounds will be quite different. A friend of mine swears by his Mesa Lonestar.

joemiracle220

What do you mean by "Fender like in the mids"? Are we talking Blackface, brown, tweed? There's been a lot of variation in Fender mids over the years.

Most any amp should be pedal friendly. I've rarely ran across an amp that didn't do well with pedals. Occasionally I'll find a specific OD pedal that doesn't work well with a specific amp, but that's rare, and usually just about every other OD pedal will work fine with that amp and vice versa. Pretty much any tube amp with a good clean sound should make an excellent pedal platform.

A few more questions. Does it have to be new or are you okay with used? Are vintage amps okay? Modern PCB? Or are you a boutique only type of person? Do you need reverb? Tremolo? Effects loop?
Blackface or Tweed like would be my favorite
Does not have to be new.....i try to buy all my stuff used . Im fine with non boutique. My Dr.z made every pedal sound like it was part of the amp and i havent had that experience with other amps. If it were more in the fender camp and less in the vox camp i would just re buy it in a 12 config.....i was thinking id like to try the ezg 50 and see if it has that same magic but have yet to find one to play. ive also thought about just getting a deluxe reverb but i dont think it has the same 3d quality as the Z had

Lullabies

I really like most Mesa Boogies for pedals oddly enough. I find they take fuzz and distortion pedals REALLY well ... also the Fender Bassman.

I personally found the 5:50 express to be the most pedal friendly out of the Mesa amps I have owned.

- Mesa LSS 4x10
- Mesa Mark V
- Mesa Dual Rec
- Mesa Mini Rec
- Mesa Royal Atlantic

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Dr Z Maz 18 is the best I've used with a Deluxe/Princeton Reverb as a close second.

autonomous

Will the Bogner blue and red be a perfect fit with the new Fender Silverface Deluxe despite it not having a bright switch?

Lullabies

I think there are amps that take high gain pedals well (fuzz , distortion etc) and amps that take overdrive pedals well.

Some amps just can't handle the super high gain and get all fizzy and just plain bad sounding IMO and Fender falls into that category ALOT..I'm probably in the minority but I think my favorite Fender for pedals is either the new silverface deluxe reissue or the 4x10 Deville!

GasMask

everything OD delay reverb etc
The Suhr Badger works better with OD/Distortion pedals than any amp I've played. I don't think there is much difference between amps with respect to delay, reverb, etc..., when placed in front of a clean amp. Of course, time based effects are better in the loop if playing dirty.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom