Most (Pleasantly) Surprising Piece of Gear Tried????

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bob T., May 27, 2016.

1. Babaroo

Babaroo Member

Vintage modified jazzmaster that I bought for $199 a couple years back. Playing it more than my hollowbodies now. Replaced the tuners though because it wouldn't stay in tune for a whole song. The Duncan designed soapbar pickups sound great clean or with overdrive.

2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Any Frenzel amp

Egnater amps

3. epo

epo Member

My Blackstar Fly 3 Stereo Pack. Bought fairly cheap and on a whim... kind of a "I'll use them as computer speakers and surprise a few folks with, 'Oh, they are a guitar amp too!' thing" but actually *love* them as a small amp! All kinds of tone and surprisingly loud for what they are.

[​IMG]

Nevets likes this.
  4. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

I just posted a review of the Little Bear G1 overdrive pedal (/preamp) from China off eBay.
    I got it because it looked cool and why not try another dirt pedal with a real tube in it when I could get it as cheaply as I did.
    Blown away by the tone. I really must figure out this whole vid review thing.

5. Talktomehudson

Talktomehudson Member

Digitech bad monkey.

My mate saw one in a charity shop for £10 and bought it for me.

Love it.

6. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

A local shop recently had all Peavey stuffs on sale and clearing it all out, so I didn't even listen to a Vypyr 75, I only said I'll take one of those and a Senpera II ( dual pedal ) contrl whatnot and sure enough... A fine amp, very fine amp, especially after tweeking and (re)setting up presets, which amounts to 400 something options with the dual pedal whatnot. Along with my usual Zoom GT.2 dual tube ( tri-pedal ) whatnot pedal board, working is light, easy and trouble free.. except the tweeking part, searching for the sounds.

7. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

About three years ago my wife and I were at an estate sale in McLean, Virginia. At estate sales I usually don't find anything I want to buy. But I like looking at cool old stuff. And every now and then I will find something interesting enough to bring home- usually some books or records. My wife sometimes finds old doll heads and stuff that she uses in her art projects. But I rarely see guitars or other musical equipment. And often when I do it is really cheaply made and not in playable condition. But this day I spotted a classical guitar. It had all of its strings on it. So I picked it up and started playing it. I didn't want to put it down. It was a Goya G-10 classical guitar made by Levin in Sweden in 1962. I paid $60. Since I got it I have played it almost every day. It is my regular practice guitar. Its neck is just about perfect. Although it probably doesn't sound like a high quality classical guitar I dig its sound. I mostly practice and experiment with jazz concepts on it and use it when I am sight reading.

fretless, aliensporebomb and epo like this.
  8. Jason UP

Jason UP Supporting Member

Egnater Tweaker 15 combo. I went through 15-20 high-priced boutique amps across the wattage spectrum over the last 15 years just to settle for a $300 practice amp and a Marshall JMP combo for bigger stages.

And really happy with the relatively cheap PreSonus StudioOne purchase.

fretless likes this.
  9. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

I was really surprised when I plugged my Collings I-35 into a cheap Crate BT50 bass amp last night just for grins. I was shocked by how good it sounded.

10. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

This thing once I popped a supervee bladerunner on it:
    [​IMG]

And this, which was a bargain for the price:
    [​IMG]

11. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member