Most reliable guitar under $1000?

Torb

Well, there is quite a few things that can go wrong with a guitar, but there is ways to rectify many of these problems. Things like tuning stability and spring breakage is improved with tuners, saddles and we'll cut nuts. Electronics might be improved in reliability by noiseless/hum bucking pickups and simplification of wiring.
I think, with a budget of about a thousand, I would go for a Fender Classic Esquier, a solid base with strings through body and exchangeable, fat neck(more stable), and put a six-saddle bridge with some good saddles and a humbucker in there, and ask a tech to install a tusq-nut, locking tuners and set the guitar for medium action(still playable even if it rises or falls a bit). And I would probably add a solid case, strap and strap locks. And insurance.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Well, there is quite a few things that can go wrong with a guitar, but there is ways to rectify many of these problems. Things like tuning stability and spring breakage is improved with tuners, saddles and we'll cut nuts. Electronics might be improved in reliability by noiseless/hum bucking pickups and simplification of wiring.
I think, with a budget of about a thousand, I would go for a Fender Classic Esquier, a solid base with strings through body and exchangeable, fat neck(more stable), and put a six-saddle bridge with some good saddles and a humbucker in there, and ask a tech to install a tusq-nut, locking tuners and set the guitar for medium action(still playable even if it rises or falls a bit). And I would probably add a solid case, strap and strap locks. And insurance.

Sure, that's true. What I'm really wondering about though is straight out of the box without any modifications, additions, or enhancements.

Basically what I'm hoping to find is something I can buy and gig with at least weekly, for at least the next year, without having to put another penny into it (other than strings).

Torb

Aha! Then I would look closely at the multitude of Les Paul Jr-derivatives you might find. The Reverend Sensei Jr comes to mind, and if you are in Europe, you might find a Duesenberg Dragster or 52 Sr at just a bit more than your budget.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Aha! Then I would look closely at the multitude of Les Paul Jr-derivatives you might find. The Reverend Sensei Jr comes to mind, and if you are in Europe, you might find a Duesenberg Dragster or 52 Sr at just a bit more than your budget.

In the past couple of years I've purchased the following inexpensive but excellent guitars which required no modifications or upgrades and were gig-worthy right out of the box:

PRS SE Singlecut Korina - $450
Danelectro 12 string - $400
Epiphone 339 Pro P90 - $350

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely consider those!

DarrellM5

I currently have 13 electric guitars, 2 acoustic guitars and 3 bass guitars, all of which have been totally reliable and none of which cost over $1000.

The electrics include a Jackson, a Fender, 2 Ibanez, 2 Schecters, a Line 6, 2 ESP LTDs, 2 PRS SE's, a Charvel and a Peavey.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
Well, here's where I'm at so far:

Bought an Epiphone ES-175 Premium on Saturday. Played it through a rehearsal and gig that day and it sounded awesome. When I got home, I started to make a small adjustment and noticed a strange variance in the wood on the top of the guitar. Looking closer, I realized the wood under the trapeze was buckling and delamintating!

Took it back the next day. I was in a hurry to get to another rehearsal and grabbed an Ibanez RG6005 without looking it over carefully enough. First, the fret ends are so sharp they're cutting into my fingers. Second, the neck is twisted slightly giving too much relief on the bass side and not enough on the treble side. This is causing problems with buzzing on the frets... Taking it back today

I looked at PRS SE's, but decided I didn't want a guitar with a floating trem, and the only hardtail model they had in the store was a dog. It was in need of a lot of TLC; it's neck was a mess. I don't think that guitar was representative of PRS SE's in general, but it's all they had...

I'm getting too picky for my price range here... I keep coming up with requirements as I try more stuff. I've decided I don't want a trem, I want neck binding (I live in a really dry climate), and I don't want single coils (I need dead silence in my guitars). I also have to get something local because I don't have time between rehearsals to have something shipped to me

I found a used Godin xtsa for $650 that was frickin awesome sounding and playing, but I have to sit when I'm playing in orchestras, and it was miserable to play sitting down. It constantly slides off my leg...

I think my next step is to try LTD. It's totally not my style at all, but the MH-350 felt really solid to me at it's price point.

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
Baja Tele would be my suggestion. I think I've had mine for 7 years without needing anything besides strings and the occasional setup.

bish0p34

LTD makes some great player guitars for the money. They're good enough for everything but bragging rights.

Dale

The only ones I have had any issues with have been when I had LP type 3 way switches. Sometimes the inexpensive guitars have been spotty for function.

I've always said bang for buck is in the LTD brand. Even the cheapest of their guitars are good. I have a lot of faith in those guitars.

I agree. I have an EC-330 that I upgraded some parts on, but for $399 a guitar. WOW. It feels and looks way nicer than any other guitar for the price. I would honestly think it could of been sold for $750 with the craftmanship put in it. But it was really only lacking in the PUPS. I'm thinking about switching them out for some vintage styled PAFs. Make it a killer!

broken_sound

Nerd
Gold Supporting Member
The American Standard Telecaster is the 90's Volvo of guitars. Built like a tank, reliable, sweet looking.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom