Most reliable Variax model?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axdxm, Feb 15, 2015.

1. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

I have the 300 model and it cuts out occasionally, making me worried about using it for a gig. However, I LOVE the sounds the thing is capable of. Seriously one of the most fun guitars to play. The Strat modeling nails the in between positions, the tele has twang, the archtop settings really sound like a full hollowbody jazzbox. Pretty amazing.

I replaced a piezo, which was no big deal. But my signal cuts out periodically and unplugging and replugging the cable in seems to fix it for a while. I took the guitar apart and looked for loose connections, etc...no problems I could detect and the fact it is intermittent makes troubleshooting even more difficult.

Are there more reliable Variax guitars that you can count on working and not cutting out? What is the model to get?

2. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

The Variax 300 was the lowest model Line 6 made and was much cheaper build than the others. I assume too that the parts were cheaper which is why you are experiencing issues.

I have a Variax 700 and it is very well built and I haven't had any issues with it. I've read that the original 500 and subsequent 600 are well liked by those that own them.

You get what you pay for...better build quality should equate to better reliability and less issues.