Most Resonant Double Locking Trem??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pureoverdrive, Dec 17, 2009.

1. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

Just played a friends les paul and cant believe the tone from that thing unplugged! Much more resonant than my us mahogany strat which is the most resonant strat iv come across. I think most of it must be down to the bridge. Id buy one but I use the trem quite a bit and like the tuning stability of a double locking trem. So what double locking trems give the best sustain? Iv heard kahlers are pritty good, floyd originals with a heavy sustain block? Mabey even a stienberer? Wish there wasnt a trade off between trem and tone...

2. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

I think it's a Kahler as the most resonant.
    You remove less wood than you will with a floyd.

3. sleek

sleek Member

I've never had a sustain problem with the numerous Floyds I've had...never cared for kahlers.

4. jtees4

jtees4 Member

More resonance equals less sustain...I just don't get why a trem should be resonant. An acoustic...now that needs to be resonant.

5. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

Is this guy for real? More resonance means More sustain because the strings "resonate" for longer.

6. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

I think the shorter scale length and the set neck may also add to the tone. Shame about the crap access to higher frets

7. sleek

sleek Member

I think I see his point...guitars that "resonate" acoustically are transferring all the energy to making the wood vibrate to make the sound come out.

Interesting theory...I have certainly heard guitars that "resonate" a great deal acoustically, but son't have the sustain through an amp.

Conversely, I have also heard (and own) some big, heavy guitars that have next to no acoustic resonance, but sustain for days through an amp. (Les Paul customs spring to mind...)

...almost as if the lack of acoustic resonance makes all of the energy go into the vibration of the strings themselves instead of the body...

Hmmm...who's got a chart?

8. jtees4

jtees4 Member

100% for real if we are talking about a solid body electric guitar. Resonance soaks up the vibration, and less power gets to the pickups. I know it sounds crazy, and goes against "common" knowledge....but if you ask an engineer you might learn that I am right.

9. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

ok, then i mean what trem is going to keep the strings vibrating for longer. ar steinberger transtrems available to buy?

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

11. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Here's a thought... while not a double locking trem, the PRS trem is very stable and the trem equipped guitars have locking tuners. You won't be able to go into divebomb land and not touch up, but if your bends are within the realm of normal string bending, you should be pretty stable. Get your hands on a Cu22, Cu24, CE 22, CE 24, McCarty Trem, Singlecut Trem, so on and you can have the thick, resonant tone you're looking for and a trem to boot

12. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

Kahler is single locking

13. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Couldn't have said it better myself! I had an 83 all maple Carvin Dc100 which was totally dead acoustically...it sounded great and sustained for days when plugged in. Why would I care if it sounded good acoustically, it was an electric! There is a lot of "common knowledge" that guitar players believe that is just plain wrong. Of course, I'm not an idiot...when I sell a guitar on EBay, it's always the "most resonant guitar I've ever heard" :D

14. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

You mean I'm not crazy after all?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=7377573&postcount=15

Seriously though, it's nice to see not everyone is just regurgitating the same old stuff.

15. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I am 52 and been playing for well over 40 years, I've had lots of time to form these opinions. We are in the minority, but we are correct none the less. It's amazing how these myths permeate common knowledge. I've taken a lot of heat over the years for this opinion and a few others. Another one- I still say a pedal without a pedal is not a pedal...but a stomp box....I get flamed for that one all the time. Example: Bad Monkey=stomp box; Crybaby Wah=pedal. :aok