Most robust EL84?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottcw, Nov 17, 2005.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

What is the most robust EL84 (current and NOS) for high plate voltages?

Thanks.

2. cleansed leper

cleansed leper Member

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Or Bendix 6094. That thing is built!

- T

4. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Try looking for some russian military el84s. They're mostly refered to as 6BQ5s....

The good news is that you can find them for great prices on ebay...like 20 bucks for 4-8 tubes.
    The bad news is there's a good chance they wont come matched. So you'll have to find someone with a tester, come up with an alternative method...

...or throw caution to the wind and just slap those puppies in your amp and make them cry uncle! :dude

-Frank

5. scottcw

I am really looking for brand (Mullard, Amperex, etc.) more than type.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What plate voltage did you have in mind?

I sincerely doubt anyone could know which is most robust under high plate voltage conditions. It would take 50 samples of every brand, 100s of the same type of amp, and 1000s of hours to reach any sort of meaningful conclusion.

The only answers you'll get will be based on extremely limited test data.

7. matte

matte Senior Member

Take it from a guy who knows tubes. I just ordered another quartet of those NOS Teslas. They can handle serious prolonged abuse (like a VHT Pittbull 45 Power section cranked for months on end)Thanks, Mike.

8. mmorse

mmorse Member

From Brent Jesse Recording:

7189 and 7189A:

This is the "industrial" version of the 6BQ5. It has a bit higher screen voltage maximum, at 400 volts, but is a plug-in replacement for a 6BQ5. Mullard made a wonderful version of this tube, and is what is usually found in the USA in a European made 7189. Probably the best non-USA 7189 available. Mullard and Amperex also made these as OEM for Scott, Heath, and other amplifier makes, with the brand of the amp on the label. The other types more often found are RCA, GE, and Sylvania. The USA brands are also about all you will find in the 7189A, which is slightly different in pinout and voltage ratings. The screen and plate maximum voltages are up to 440 and 400 volts, respectively, which is significantly higher than either the 6BQ5 or the 7189. Replace a 7189A only with another 7189A unless you know a 7189 will work OK.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Thanks Matte. Glad you like the NOS Teslas, they seem to be doing very well for everyone. Your order will ship today, Friday.

Say "hi" to DT for me.

11. scottcw

Just picked up a pair of matched Teslas from Mike meself.

For plate voltage, I don't have a number, but it would equal or slightly greater to a 90s Budda Twinmaster.

I have to try a VHT Pitbull 45 just to see why you and splatt love them so much.

12. matte

matte Senior Member

Hi Scott,
    I run the Pittbull 45 with the power section cranked though a hotplate. The amp will be running 15-18 hours a day. Several months of the abuse would mos def reveal any chinks in a power tube's armour(especially an 84, which Kenny Fischer and I used to refer to as firecrackers). Mike's NOS Telsas have performed flawlessly and they sound remarkable.

VHT Pittbull 45? Exceptional and unique tool for carving air.

13. Reactionjackson

Reactionjackson Member

I just received my first Komet - a Connie - the other day and I'm now in the market for a few EL84-esque tubes. I've never had the pleasure of owning a toy with an EL-84 based output section, so I'de really like to experiment with some high end NOS offerings to find the right compliment for my playing. What are the grand poo bahs of this tube type?

14. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Current production; JJ
    NOS; Mullard

15. scottcw

Just snagged a quad of matched NOS Siemens E84L tubes on eBay. These with the Teslas should set me for a while.