Most stereotypical 90s rock song?

tsar nicholas

So I was talking with some folks about the current wave of 90s nostalgia that's hitting (with the show "Portlandia" being one of the more visible symptoms), and we got to talking about what the most stereotypical 90s traits are.

What do you think is the most typical 90s rock / pop song? I'm talking about live-band-centric music here, as opposed to sample-based. My current vote goes to the below, mainly in consideration of :

- Hip-hop influenced drumbeat

- Wry female vocal

- Subject matter of lyrics is relatively less straightforward than the Chuck Berry rock 'n' roll bona fides of cars and sex

- Mild jazzy touches

- Dance-oriented

- Big jeans

What do you think?

MrTAteMyBalls

Interesting thread. Everytime I hear either of these 2 songs, I think lovingly of the 90's. Even though I love a lot of the heavier rock from that decade, these 2 really define it for me. It was a really fun decade for me(i was a teenager), and for some reason 1979 really brings me back.

the other one that does it. I had the hugest crush on Lisa after seeing her perform this on SNL.

weshunter

Silver Supporting Member
"cumbersome" is what came to mind here -- band is seven mary three

god i hate that song

uitar99

So I was talking with some folks about the current wave of 90s nostalgia that's hitting (with the show "Portlandia" being one of the more visible symptoms), and we got to talking about what the most stereotypical 90s traits are.

What do you think is the most typical 90s rock / pop song? I'm talking about live-band-centric music here, as opposed to sample-based. My current vote goes to the below, mainly in consideration of :

- Hip-hop influenced drumbeat

- Wry female vocal

- Subject matter of lyrics is relatively less straightforward than the Chuck Berry rock 'n' roll bona fides of cars and sex

- Mild jazzy touches

- Dance-oriented

- Big jeans

What do you think?

Interesting-you 40 somethings are getting nostalgic for the 90's. Goes a ways to confirming that we all get nostalgic for what we grew up with.

Simto

Man, i miss the early 90's so much. I was just a kid back then but i loved it.
I especially remember the first time i saw "Black hole sun" it was pretty mind blowing, and Beavis & Butthead, i loved that show...

I don't like the late 90's though... but the early 90's... man... i only have good memories from that time.

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
There was so much great music, its hard to 'pigeonhole' 1 song

The last decade before downloading 'the .99 cent hit' just made it more disposable imo. Dont get me wrong, theres LOTS of good pop songs (im not a pop hater, i even like some pop songs today) but i just think that downloading brought music to a sugary more bubble gum level accesable for 11 year olds

BTW Some hair bands were still producing good stuff in early 90's, then we had the alternative explosion, the powerfull angry women of the 1990s. the industrial sound with NIN, Manson, Stabbing Westward, etc and then came NU Metal in the late 1990's. I like it all, i try to be open minded but i REALLY think the 1990s was a GREAT decade for music, sadly the last 10 or so have dropped off imo

:dunno

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
Well any song that Radio 'overplays' will not hold up that well, im not saying its a great song but FM radio playing it all the time as well as internet 90s stations doesnt help either lol

There was ALOT more musically to the decade, a very good decade imo

rob2001

Black Crows, Metallica, Gin Blossoms, Goo Goo Dolls.....just off the top of my head.

Obviously Metallica was metal based but the Black album was a rock record IMO, and it was everywhere.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom