1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Most surprinsing cheap guitar you ever own

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fatherjacques, Aug 26, 2006.

1. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Supporting Member

Sometimes we buy a guitar thinking it would be a good back up or something like that and surprisingly you find that you can let it down. On my end I bought an Elitist Epiphone, replace the stock pickups by Haeussel Vin neck and Vin+ bridge, put a RS kit have my preferred tech set it up and WOW!! Can,t take it down:RoCkIn

[​IMG]

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

...note to poster...
    That's not a cheapie gutar.
    I just bought a CHEAP guitar. The real thing (about $5% to 10% of that one). I'll report after further testing.
    Good tone is wherever you find it.

3. 69strat

69strat Member

I bought an epi 1996 ltd edition les paul from guitar center used for $260. I put a set of dream 90,s $19 each ,from guitar fetish in there. Anyone that plays that axe cannot believe the playability and tone!!! :RoCkIn

4. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

PRS Soapbar SE... best sub $500 guitar I've ever found. :RoCkIn

5. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

Electra Vulcan MPC $175
    Takamine F307S $225
    Danelectro Hodad $100
    Peavey T-60 $195

6. blong

blong Member

PRS Santana SE and an SE Soapbar II Maple Top. I got both for $500. I also own a Squier Telecaster that just flat out plays great with a great neck and a great feel. The pups are ok but a little weak. I'm replacing them soon, but otherwise a phenomenal little guitar. Also, I used to own a Danelectro DC-2 and it was killer for the money. Mexican made Fenders are a great value, as are many Epiphones.

Bob

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I'm with the two above posters who think the PRS SE II soapbar is the best sub $500 guitar they've ever owned. I bought one for my 7 year old to learn on and I've enjoyed playing it. See, I bought him one of those $200 Squier 3/4 strats a year ago and he never played it. Hard to get in tune and doesn't stay in tune. The PRS is about twice the price, but it's more than twice the guitar.

8. Bad Habit

Bad Habit Member

I bought an older Korean Brownsville SUD550 which is modeled after an LP doublecut for $130. I spent a couple hundred to upgrade all of the hardware and put in DiMarzio Air Norton's. At a jam a couple weeks ago, I started playing with it. It played and sounded so good that I never took my real Les Paul out of its case. I also own a Danelectro U1 '56 re-issue I paid $150 for that I'm quite fond of as well.

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

I own two S-73's, DeArmond SG-style mahogony guitars...bought after Fender purchased Guild/Dearmond, so they are labeled Squiers. They were being blown out when Fender was ready to discontinue them, and I payed $200 for a black one/$250 for a red one.

Completely gutted the electronics in both, putting in better pots/switches, wiring, and GFS Fat PAFs in both. Completely upgraded hardware....bridges/tailpieces, knobs, tuners, graphite nuts. Strung them both up with D'Addario nickleplated .11s.

Total? About $450 for each guitar, and they are stone cold killers...they play great, the Fat PAFs sound great in them, and with the solid mahogony bodies/set necks, give them a warm and dense sound.

10. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Peavey T-15 - Really nice neck, totally usable pickups in all positions, comfy to hold, sounds much better than one would think.

11. drolling

drolling Member

"Cheap" is relative, I guess, but when you get down to the $100 - $200 level, you're usually lookin at a pretty crappy instrument - Gotta admit, tho', some of those Chinese guitars look great.. until you pick em up. They really do feel like toys.. and I'm not even gonna comment on the quality of the electronics.

But I will throw in w/the Epi players. Gave a buddy a Wildkat and much to our surprise, it's become one of his main guitars.

And I just got a used '58 korina V that can hang w/any of my instruments. i was sure I'd have to rip out the p-ups immediately, but I've gigged it and everybody loved the sound. Any upgrade's become very low priority for now..

12. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

FatherJacques,

Can we see some more pix of the guitar? Looks beautiful. Where in Montreal are you? I'm in Laval.

Nick

13. gi doc

gi doc Member

Hamer Phantom Custom.........Best less that $1000 I've ever owned. Extremely versatile.

14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I just bought an Epi Les Paul Custom for $300. I'll have it in my hands next week...boy am I hoping I get lucky and it's a good one! I played 10 to 12 last night at GC and decided that if that was a good sample, I was fairly safe in buying blind, ie; eBay.

Hopefully in a week I can add to this thread!

15. SFK

SFK Member

Muddy Waters Tele
    [​IMG]

16. beePee

beePee Member

CHEAP!!....... are you guys Bill Gates relatives!!!

dis be cheap and da shite
    David Lidleys' EKO...

[​IMG]

there's more!!!

http://www.davidlindley.com/instruments.html

I 'm going to start my cheap guitar vision quest soon.I love the sound of those cheap PUPs and bodies made from materials from the outer asteroid belt!....they have mountains of characther no arm and a leg botique PUP /guitar could ever hope for...

and all those damn switches and buttons ...holy bat guano Batman!! :RoCkIn :RoCkIn :RoCkIn

Bee"Mistah EKO"Pee

17. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

I snagged this one at GC with a used case for $106 out the door. Satin finish Mexican Standard. It was the last new one left and they were blowing it out
    due to a couple of small dings and the neck pickup was dead. Plunked down the cash and immediately had them due a repair order for the pickup since it was new with warranty, duh! :jo Got it back from repair a couple of weeks later with the new pickup at no charge. Plays great and the pickups actually sound really good.
    [​IMG]

18. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

Not necessarily. I think I listed about four guitars I found over the past few months in pawnshops in that price range and none of them are what I would call "crappy". They sound good and get the job done. That is why I bought them.

19. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

My Schecter C-1 Classic has been killer. Comes stock with real Duncans, 5 way switch, neck through, maple top, strings through the body all for $420 with a gig bag. While it can't touch my Hamers as far as quality and girth, it is much more versatile and has become my go to axe for most studio work and live gigs when I don't want to risk something happening to one of the Hamers.

Great guitar IMO.

IPH

20. e-z

e-z Member

Squier Tele. All it needed was to be set up properly.