Most transparent amp switcher

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stu42, Jan 24, 2008.

1. stu42

stu42 Member

I've found a bunch of threads related to high-end amp switchers here. There appear to be some nice ones around.

One thing I'm still wondering...which is the most transparent amp switcher around?

I used to have a Framptone Amp Switcher (two amp model) and it was quite good but I still noticed that it took away some of the mids compared to when I plugged straight into the amp.

Are any of the other units more transparent than the Framptone?

Ideally...I'd like to be able to switch between 3 separate channels. One channel would be on my Peters Polaris (single channel amp) and the other two would be the two channels on a Vox AC15H1TV but I could potentially live with just a two-channel switcher. There don't appear to be that many that can do 3 channels.

Another question....on the Lehle Dual...they indicate that the T output is not electrically isolated from the B output. If I used ouputs B and T to switch between the two channels on the Vox would I experience issues with hum? Is electrical isolation only required when switching between two different amps or is it necessary for switching between two channels on the same amp as well?

Thanks.

2. Burkhardl

Burkhardl Member

Hi Stu42,

thanks for considering my Lehle Dual SGoS as a Switcher for your setup.

When you use the outputs B and T (which are not isolated) for the inputs of one single amp you will have no hum problems. Only if you have two different amps, then you need one transformer isolated output. Output A of the Dual SGoS is such a transformer isolated output. So you can be sure that my Dual SGoS will work fine for you.

All the best
    Burkhard

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have and love the Lehle Dual. Pricey, but one of the best for sure.

4. Nargothrim

Nargothrim Member

+1 for lehle

they are indestructable

5. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I have a question about my Dual. When I just use the A output with nothing plugged into B, I get an awful hum. But if I just use the B with nothing plugged into A, everything is fine. It is also fine if I have something plugged into both A and B. Is that normal?

6. Burkhardl

Burkhardl Member

Hi s2amps,

thanks for using my Dual SGoS!

This behavior is absolutely normal.
    Output A is transformer isolated. Through that you have no connection of the grounds between Output A and the box of the Dual, which is grounded over output B. That means your Dual - and with that your guitar - is in this situation ungrounded. This causes a lot of hum. To reconnect the grounds you have to engage the ground switch which is located near the DC-input jack. If you have done that, you will notice that there is no hum and buzz anymore.

All the best
    Burkhard

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I got this one from ACME SPLITTERs & STUFF, best one I never heard...

[​IMG]

:crazyguy;)

8. James

James Member

I used to have a Mesa Amp Switcher (rack-mount 1x4 splitter). It was dead-quiet and there was absolutely no issues with transparency. I believe it has Jensen transformers in it, which keep things quiet and clean - no ground loops, buzz, etc.

Loved it. Sorta wish I kept it...

all best,
    James

9. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

You made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hahah

10. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

Framptone 3 banger I have it, I love it.

11. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I tried the lehle and I think it's buffered. If I wanted to put fuzz after it then it would not sound right. I think completely passive may be the way to go unless you want both amps on at once.

12. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

13. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

D13 Switch Hazel

14. stu42

stu42 Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Switchbone. That one seems to be one of the more popular ones but I haven't read anyone mentioning that it's extremely transparent.

Here are some of the ones that have been mentioned in various threads that seem interesting:

Tonebone - Switchbone JX-2
    Lehle - Dual
    Lava Cable - Lava Flow
    Framptone - Amp Switcher and 3-banger
    StarTouch
    Divided by 13 - Switchazel
    Reinhardt - Hitman

The only one I have experience with is the Framptone. Like I say...it was very good (high quality, quiet, silent switching etc) and most people would consider it to be very transparent, as I originally did, but after using it for a while and listening very closely I noticed that it took away a bit of the fullness of the sound compared to plugging straight into the amp and I'm just wondering if that's as good as it gets for transparency or if there is another switcher that is better in that regard.

Has anyone directly compared some of these switchers - specifically for transparency?

Thanks

15. stu42

stu42 Member

Thanks for the info. This one is definitely high on my list to check out. :)

16. stu42

stu42 Member

That one definitely leads in transparency!! But I bet hum is a real b*tch:BEER