Most transparent compressor for Tele into tweed deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teletone65, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Teletone65

Teletone65 Member

Hey Fellas,
    I am looking for a compressor that will not change the tone of my Tweed deluxe at all. I was thinking about a Diamond or the Tone Press. Your input is appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Vick

2. onemind

onemind Member

I've been very impressed with the Barber unit, I've been using it with my AVRI '52 into a Swart AST and it dials in just the right amount of compression...The blend control works as advertised.

3. seanc

seanc Member

i have always been pretty partial to the Keeley Compressor. i think its pretty good all round.

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Diamond Compressor very transparent.

5. Dana

Dana Guest

I like my Diamond. It's very transparent.

6. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I didn't find the Keeley's effect very transparent at all (ie. loss of high end, noticeable pumping effect etc). If that's transparent, then comps are out for me. It does what it does well though.

I was also looking at may be getting the Diamond or Barber one day as well. The BJF sounds nice but damn expensive. I'm wondering if it's worth the $$ over the Barber and Diamond performance wise.

7. Jack

Jack Member

Tone Press, with it's clean blend, is extremely transparent. Never tried the Diamond.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

From what I've gathered, the BJF is probably the best optical comp out there. I love my Diamond and don't really understand how you can get much better, but as the strobostomp taught me, there are whole universes I'm unaware of :)

Some people prefer the Diamond over the BJF due to its EQ knob, though.

9. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

Boss CS-2. Very transparent. Plus you'll have any extra hundy in your pocket to feed other G.A.S.

10. opdev

opdev Member

Had a Keeley and sold it. Bought a Tone Press and love it. Transparent is the word.

11. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yea, Barber and diamond were the best ones Ive played. I have ended up with the barber for its price and blend switch.

12. willamps

willamps Member

I have owned a Keeley (Ross clone), a Barber tone press, Boss Cs2, And Analogman comprossor (Ross Clone). Keeley had a great feel but not real transparent, Tone Press was transparent, but I personally didn't like the feel, Boss good feel but not real transparent, Analogman good feel and transparent. I have never tried a Diamond or a BJF. I use a Tele into a Top Hat, AC30 or 55' Super. All of the above pedals are great, indeed the superstars of the stompbox compressor world, so you can't go wrong with any of them. As always use your own ears and hands.

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have a Keeley and a Pale Green Compressor. Both are fantastic, but Pale Green is much more transparent.

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

15. guitarb

guitarb Member

Was using a Keeley and liked it........went to a Tone Press and love it!!!

16. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

My Barber Tone Press does not change the tone of my Vickie tweed Deluxe, at all.

17. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

The old Maxon compressor is amazing - actually better than Keeley.

18. Teletone65

Teletone65 Member

Hey Fella's,
    I appreciate all the feed back. This gives me some ideas without being able to try the pedals.

"Jim Collins" wrote "My Barber Tone Press does not change the tone of my Vickie tweed Deluxe, at all."

Jim,
    That is what I have. I have only found 2 effects that does not affect the "Tweed" tone at all, a klon and a Maxon AD999. The Barber does not affect that woody, chunky sound?

Thanks For the feedback.
    Vick

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

in theory not, as the blend knob would allow your pure signal to come through as well. I'll let Jim confirm it