Most transparent MFX floorboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Claudio74, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Hi there.
    I have a 1982 fender Concert and a few stomps (OD3, Power Screamer and DD20).
    Recently i joined a cover band and i had to purchase a MFX: i got a used Boss GT8 and i'm quite happy with effects quality but it really sucks tone.
    Well, not exactly: it cuts dynamics!
    I need a floor mfx in this range price that allows me to have good effects but most important keeps at least a very good dynamic.
    What about the other mfx: Pod XT live, Tonelab, Gnx 3000, Zoom g92tt??

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

3. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Thanx Josh, i know the HC but i think is intended for using with MFX direct to PA systems or so.
    I plug the GT8 straight to the input of my Fender (it has a parallel effects loop) and strangely i can get really nice OD sounds with the modeled amps.
    let's say that i use it like a pedalboard.
    The fact that really bothers me is that it cuts a lot of dynamics when bypassing the pre's of the GT8: even in bypass mode it sucks tone way too much. I think that the AD/DA conversion is bad.
    Maybe the Zoom is better?

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Can you route the GT8 to play the drives through your input and the fx through your loop?

5. NicDo

NicDo Member

If you like your own overdrive/distortions already, it's hard to come close to the TC G-System

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I'm a huge fan of the yamaha magicstomp, you can keep your drive units and pop it on your board after them (its the same size as 2 boss units) and have studio grade delays/flangers/phazers/echoes/choruses/multitap delays/auto wahs/pitch shifters/compressors/amp sims/ring modulators kitchen sink etc...
    Much more versatile than line 6 or zoom.

Only has 3 switches too.

Demos in youtube sig below

7. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Yep it's hard for my pockets :p

8. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

Great demos and playing but i need patch/bank fast changes, tap tempo, etc. and the yamaha don't have midi.

Anyway, i found my old buffer in a box and tried to connect it after the line-out of the boss. I must tell that even if tone is different from guitar-straight-to-amp, at least it improved presence and dynamics.
    Maybe the BBE sonic maximizer is the answer?

9. Ryan

Ryan Member

I just got a Boss ME-50 for my MFX. I usually don't use anything but delay, and that only sparingly. So I figured for the price of a DD-20 I could get a bunch of other effects for those rare times when I want to use them. It sounds pretty darn good, too, and very quiet. The drive section is only good for low gain stuff, IMHO, but I've got a BoR and my amp to cover that.

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Find a Yamaha DG stomp, and turn off the amp sims. You're left with very clean fx-phase, flange, trem, chorus, rotary, delay, reverb, plus eq, tap tempo, built in footswitching, midi if you want, ext. controller capability. works great, cost little these days.

gb

11. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The DG stomps are great for that, especially cos they have the midi capability. The magicstomp is designed more for classic analogue pedalboard use. You can however have 3 patches on the fly in performance mode.

12. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I'm gonna agree with the DG Stomp suggestion. Very nice performance box, with some great features including tap tempo, an excellent lesie sim, and a phaser you can use as a radical eq. the phaser has a secret little trick that lets you sweep through the effect manually with the speed turned all the way down, and you can program these manual shifts into memory. sweet little box, and the models are respectable for recording as well.