Most unique 90’s guitar tone

DonaldDemon

I just remembered one of my favorite tones on this album, released in '98. They may not have been very unique but I love the tones he gets on this album. I've read it may have been a cranked AC30 but I don't know if that's true.

Whiskeyrebel

Supporting Member
I think Junior Brown deserves a mention in this topic. On the one hand there's the matter of playing flatpicked fretted guitar and console steel through the same amp, but even if you set that aside, was anyone else using a similar sound at the time with normal guitar? He was playing completely clean amps and low output single coils and getting sustain from sheer crippling sound pressure.

buzzmo

Juliana Hatfield's tone on Become What You Are is some of the best rhythm tone I have ever heard in my life. I saw her on that tour and she totally pulled it off live, too. I'm pretty sure it was just her SG into a JCM 900.

ErichA

Supporting Member
I love many of these guitarists mentioned, and I’m going to throw a different kind of answer out there to the OPs question.
I’m going to nominate David Roback of Mazzy Star.
He used many different guitars and amps for many tonal variations, he will never be known for crazy technical guitar work, but:
You always know it’s him, even though the dynamics and instrumentation could be wildly different. Massive saturation or quiet acoustic strumming, you always know it’s him, haunting your dreams....
RIP Dave Roback.

sahhas

Supporting Member
i suppose I like Tool as much as the ave person, i have undertow and Aenema on CD, been meaning to get the others to fill out my collection, just haven't gotten around to it...the other day i decided to listen to some of Opiate, and when i got to Cold and Ugly:
i was like: HOLY SH*T, that opening rhythm sound is just AWESOME!!!! i've listened to it a few times...always just knocks me out....
do like Adam Jones approach to guitar, he is unique....

LR1400

i suppose I like Tool as much as the ave person, i have undertow and Aenema on CD, been meaning to get the others to fill out my collection, just haven't gotten around to it...the other day i decided to listen to some of Opiate, and when i got to Cold and Ugly:
i was like: HOLY SH*T, that opening rhythm sound is just AWESOME!!!! i've listened to it a few times...always just knocks me out....
do like Adam Jones approach to guitar, he is unique....
sounds awesome but I’m not sure it’s unique. Never listened to tool much but that was cool.

sahhas

Supporting Member
Started listening to janes addictions ritual de la habitual yesterday.... wow Dave navarros guitar playing is so good on that album!!!!!!

Trending Topics