• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Most unique 90’s guitar tone

Graham Coxon - great, rich rhythm sounds, interesting solo sounds.

Carrie Brownstein - kinda somewhere between Dave Davies and Pete Townsend but in such a different context with no bass guitar in the mix.

Steve & Jeff from Arab On Radar- crazy no wave screeching but somehow also heavy.

Marc Ribot - the greatest.

Adrian Utley - Portishead has some of the best production the 90s ever produced.

nolenuttt

Platinum Supporting Member
I may get flamed, but I always really enjoyed Tommy Bolin’s tones, both with Zephyr and later with the purple… He died way too young…

itskellyo

Started listening to janes addictions ritual de la habitual yesterday.... wow Dave navarros guitar playing is so good on that album!!!!!!
Some monstrous moments of insane shred on that album. As I get older I do appreciate his ability to be subtle. Then She Did is probably the best example of him being a more thoughtful player. But on the flip side if you need to get your chops up, try and learn Three Days note by note.

mos6507

This is probably the single most unusual tone of the 90s, the 12-string neck on a doubleneck recorded purely through sympathetic vibration.

mooncobra

Silver Supporting Member
I can’t think of a more rich, saturated, yet clear recorded guitar tone from the 90’s that isn’t Dean DeLeo’s. I have no idea how he did it, but damn.
Demeter pre amp vht 2150 power amp and sometimes he used an ac30

mooncobra

Silver Supporting Member
Billy Corgan sure stood out from the others....you certainly could tell a Pumpkins tune from any other....and still can
The first couple albums were so awesome!! But the wall of sound on Siamese dream was EPIC!! I think butch vig might have done that album? I remember reading a story and corgan said some songs had 60 or 70 guitar Tracks, it might have even been more!!

mooncobra

Silver Supporting Member
If I remember correctly he said in a GW interview around the time of Tiny Music that he was using a lot of P90s and teles along with weird old small tube combos cranked all the way up.

I think Core was mostly his Demeter pre and VHT 2150 with a Les Paul.
Every time I saw them live he had the Demeter and vht as well as ac30. Sounded exactly like the albums. Great player as well, very under rated.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know if it's unique or unusual, but I'd love to know exactly what gear Page Hamilton used for the Strap It On ep and the Meanwhile cd. The two releases are actually recorded very differently from each other, but Page's guitar hits so hard on both, and his "heavy staccato" chording is something that I and many others have been chasing since they were released. I think that he was/is a significant influence on djent, among other things.

Trending Topics