• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Most unique 90’s guitar tone

gennation

Dean had some sweet ass tone but I think Smashing Pumpkins had the most unique tone. I’d say Billy Crogan, but I think they had two guitars most of the time.

Tom Morello definitely had the unique sounds but he wasn’t very unique tone wise.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I hate the 1st album by Blind Melon. Hate it. But this 2nd one was a masterpiece. I never expected to like it but it is insanely good. I never would have expected this album from them. It was well written, well recorded and well performed. And it showed the breadth of their musicianship and influences.

I spent New Years Eve of Y2K at the guitarist and his wife's house in Seattle. They had a huge party. I got to see the home studio in the basement. Pretty col for sure.
I didn’t know songs could be written the way they were on that album. They just keep you guessing but they were soooo good.

skunx

Silver Supporting Member
Who didn’t have a unique tone in the 90’s? Makes the tones now seem completely derivative to one another.

marmalade cream

Supporting Member
Dean had some sweet ass tone but I think Smashing Pumpkins had the most unique tone. I’d say Billy Crogan, but I think they had two guitars most of the time.

Tom Morello definitely had the unique sounds but he wasn’t very unique tone wise.
Billy was pretty much the sound of the Pumpkins guitars on the records. James Iha did record a bit on MCIS, Adore, and Machina, but Billy played the vast majority of the guitar parts on the first few albums.

I like Iha as a guitarist btw, he is great at adding interesting textures to songs and he did some cool post-Pumpkins work with A Perfect Circle and Tinted Windows.

on most of siamese dream they had billy corgan twice.

The story of how they recorded siamese dream is amazing. The whole band was falling apart with drug issues and broken relationships, Corgan was also in a mire of depression but just refused to not let them get a brilliant album out. he's the bass on most of the album as well.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
Nick McCabe of the verve did some incredibly interesting sounds with guitar ( especially on storm in heaven). A lot of the little sounds in the layers he creates fascinates me.

I will also say Beck does alot of different and interesting things. I guess what intrigues me most about him is his uniqueness to me is his variety of tones.

Last edited:

DarnWeight

Robert Poss, from Band Of Susans.

An amazing arranger of multiple overlapping guitar parts, he used distortion and feedback as a compositional tool like no-one else. He rocked a killer stereo rig live, and I haven't heard anyone cop anything like his tones ever since. BOS could do the lot...pretty, tough, dissonant. Here's a selection from their 90's stuff...

Anomaly

I think Jerry Cantrell and Adam Jones had impeccable tone in the 90's (and still do). Cantrells tone on the Dirt album is still one of my favorites of all time.
Ya, I love that tone. It was recorded with multiple amps, a recto, a bogner fish and something else I believe??

Trending Topics