• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Most unique 90’s guitar tone

JWDubois

The first time I heard EJ was in the early 90s. I had never heard anything like his tone and playing before then. He's still my favorite.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
Radiohead. But I think the tones aren't from one person alone so I hesitate to pick just one.

Tl;dr - But I always thought - love them or hate them - Trey Anastasio's tone in the 1990's was very unique. A lot of compression, and the obvious stacked>TS-9>through>hollowbody thing, but he was able to get a very quacky humbucker clean tone, with a lot of richness, or ride that vocal, singing sustain thing that Steve Hackett used to aplomb in Genesis.

Laser

Fifteen pages and not one mention of James Calvin Wilsey. I must be on the wrong site.

In the early 90's, every guitar player I was around talked about EJ's violin tone, Edge's delay and Wilsey's soulful sustain. All very unique.

mikeymoves

Silver Supporting Member
I love this thread. I got to jam with DeLeo at something called Rock Fantasy Camp in 2017 and he was rocking the Demeter Preamp/VHT Poweramp and Intelliverb. Classic RIG!! IMG_0886.JPG

Trending Topics