• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Most unique 90’s guitar tone

Boston617

I was going to say Billy as well. I think he’s underrated as a guitar player. I know the Pumpkins were lumped in with the rest of the alternative bands of the day, but the band -especially Billy and Jimmy Chamberlin- were fantastic musicians and their music was quite complex and well written.
I could tolerate Pumpkins if they were all instrumental. Billy Corgan's vocals are on the annoying scale of Fran Drescher.

msquared

Silver Supporting Member
For unique tone, Ler LaLonde and Tom Morello are my two top contenders. I'd give a nod to Corgan as a runner up.

Most of the other stuff on this thread is identifiable as seriously good '90s tone but doesn't seem all that unique.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
All of it, really. Everyone was chasing guitar heroes and didn’t really know how to do it (other than hearsay and magazines) so there were unlimited awesome tones coming from every direction. There was no “what’s the ideal signal path?”

It’s weird because even though there’s a lot music I really can’t stand listening to (late 90s like limp bizket and Korn and that kind of thing), I can still appreciate the tones and sound textures they used.

ndavis1971

Are y’all kidding? Radiohead. Period. No brainer. I can appreciate the Pumpkins, and LOVE the Crowes, but OK Computer was revolutionary. The Dark Side of the 90s. The tones they squeezed out of some Fenders and Voxes, along with the rhythms and time changes, were trailblazing.

Great Shot Pilot

Silver Supporting Member
Are y’all kidding? Radiohead. Period. No brainer. I can appreciate the Pumpkins, and LOVE the Crowes, but OK Computer was revolutionary. The Dark Side of the 90s. The tones they squeezed out of some Fenders and Voxes, along with the rhythms and time changes, were trailblazing.
Radiohead is my favorite band, and OK Computer is my favorite record of all time. With that said, I don’t know that there are a ton of unique guitar tones, per se, on that record. For the most part, they were drawing from sounds that you’d heard Floyd, or The Smiths, or even REM use before. That’s not to say that there aren’t some crazy noises on it (there certainly are!), and Jonny’s angular playing/technique is distinctive. But for me, I don’t see most of the tones themselves as all that unique in the way, that say, Morello or Shields’s were. I’m with you on the time changes and rhythms (I still can’t play Let Down properly), but the thread was limited to tones, so that’s what I’m sticking with.

Now, if you want to talk about guitar tones on Kid A and beyond (by both Jonny and Ed), then I think you are on to something. But this thread was limited to the 90’s.

ndavis1971

The reverb interview on the big muff fuzz with CORGAN is actually a fantastic interview for Pumpkins fans. Explains how he discovered his tone, which was somewhat accidental on those albums.

Last edited:
i always really liked Mike Ness' playing and tone. Its very basic: les paul -> boss sd1 -> bassman but it has a timeless quality that wasn't as common in the 90s where people got obsessed with more noisy and less vocal lead sounds. Kinda like how in the 80s Slash plugged a les paul into a marshall and made simple sounds cool again and have everyone selling their racks.
They peaked at Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell for me. I must say, I don't know who else from the early 90s was using LPs with p90s. I had an 88 Standard and didn't know any better to realize he had different pickups. Definitely a big fan of that and their s/t record. That was my first turn on to Johnny Cash as well.

I saw them on the Blind tour in by first year of University, at the Marquee club in London. I had that t-shirt for years, until it was more hole and than t-shirt :p It's an excellent album for sure.
I saw them supporting Blind, opening for Maiden on the Fear of the Dark tour. Great show, probably the last time I had seen Maiden not stuck in assigned seating until last September.

Trending Topics