1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Most versatile 2nd guitar??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Janglin_Jack, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I have lots of guitars, some of which I don't want to take out and play live anymore. Starting to get worried about bringing 3 guitars to the dive bars we play. What is the most versatile - INEXPENSIVE - guitar? Looking for something that can handle a range of tones from rock to rockabilly, (Tele and Gretsch to Les Paul ES335). Trying to keep the pricetag below $700.

The ESP Xtone looks killer, maybe coil tap the Alnico II Pros. What about a Tele Nashville? Reverend Flatroc??

Need some ideas. Help me out!

Jack

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I'd get a used Ibanez Artcore AS73 (335 clone), and replace the pots with CTS and the pups with a Seth Lover neck and some maybe a JB bridge with coil tap.

3. Screen Reject

Screen Reject Member

Don't laugh.....I bought a Squier Classic Vibe telecaster as a cheap back up for my R7. I added some strap locks and an electrosocket and have been very pleased with the results. Total cost was about $325 or so.

Another option may be one of the late 90's DeArmonds made by Guild. I had a silver sparkle M75T that worked well. I bought mine in a pawn shop for $200 several years ago.

Curt

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

There are a boat load of Tele's in your price range. Hit the shops and start pickin.

5. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

Try the Reverend Flatroc

6. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Gretsch Pro Jet, with Bigsby.

PRS SE Custom, with GFS Retrotrons.

7. RomanS

RomanS Member

Tele, with a 4-way-switch to approximate bucker sounds.

8. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Check out any of the Reverend 3 P90s. They have a knob that you can remove bass with so you end up in something very close to tele/strat land. And with the 3 P90s and a 5 position toggle you also get the "in between" strat sounds. They have set neck 24 3/4 scale models as well as bolt on 25 1/2s. The set necks are a great option if you are a gibson scale person since you get so many more tonal options than with 2 humbuckers. Very versatile.

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

10. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Personally I have always liked Gibson necks so that chopped the reverend decisions in half. I ended up with the Warhawk II 390, because of the P90s and the fact that 3 made it so it could be like a strat on steroids with a gibson neck, as well as a 50s gibson type thing with the P90s. I also liked the color and looks of it in general since it wasn't really trying to look like one of the big 2. I guess with the block inlays now the set necks look more gibsonish but still theres some cool retro-ish body styles to choose from. As well as Semi's etc. I guess its just what you want... but maybe too much to choose from if you're not looking for specific things?

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Yes....I have one with a trem 4 sale as well...

12. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

:agree Great Minds think alike! Starfire Special for the win. Here's one like mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Guitar-DeArmond-Starfire-Special-by-Guild-NR_W0QQitemZ200309598276

and another in red:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEARMOND-GUITAR-STARFIRE-SPECIAL-with-USA-PICKUPS_W0QQitemZ170302860689

13. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Nashville Power Tele
    [​IMG]

Covers tele, strat and acoustic sounds, cheap and decent.

14. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

My parts tele with two TV Jones classics and a Bigsby never fails to deliver. Does tele, Gretsch and a nice thick neck tone. As versatile as they come.

15. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Where did you get the body? A Tele with two TVJones Classics would be killer!! Wonder how the low output Filtertrons would sound split? Maybe coils in series would be better.

Jack

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Yes, tele is the way to go. So many really promising partscasters show up here. You can luck into some serious quality parts if you're patient, way better values than buying anything new. On the versatility side, I don't think any other guitar beats the tele, even the ever-flexible strat and 335.

17. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

What about a Reverend Jetstream 390??

Jack

18. grungebob

grungebob Member

ok don't laugh, throw away your preconcieved prejudices and take a moment to read.
    I bought out of interest and to try my skills out on a schecter S1 with a broken neck. It is Korean made, it looks like a slightly pointier SG but man alive it plays and sounds good! I fixed the neck quite easily (yay for me) but noticed how great the quality of the mahogany was, glued in neck tone pros TOM bridge duncan desigend (swopped for real 59 and JB) humbuckers full 500k vol and tone with coil tap 22 JUMBO fretts.
    Like the OP i bought as a back up or to take to the less respectable venues but now im stuck. I love it, the humbucker tones are amazing realy get the SG and LP tones with sustain for days plus the coil taps are for some reason so so usable I kid you not I recorded one track with my 99 usa deluxe strat and another with the S1 coil tap middle switch position (slight roll down on volume on neck pickup) and nobody has guess correclt yet which one is which. problem is now i like it too much to take to the lesser venues in case it gets stolen, but for about $200 2nd hand and say $150-200 for real duncans (allthough the duncan designed sounded reasonable to me - guess i got lucky) you will have a killer guitar that never needs retuning (ok hardly) and can cover so much sonic ground i personaly think you'd be a fool to at least not try one.