Most Versatile Chorus/ Jazz and Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kiergtr, Feb 22, 2006.

1. kiergtr

kiergtr Member

What chorus do you think covers the classic rock sound but would also work well for solo jazz guitar doing Bossa and Ballads?

2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The Fulltone Choralflange is one of he most versitile chorus pedals out there. 4 knobs (Blend - Delay Time - Depth - Rate) as well as two switches (Narrow/Wide, I think this further increases the Delay Time - Chorus/Flanger), oh, and it is analog. With all of this control you can dial in a huge variety of choruses, and it even does a nice flange. Additionally, you can set it (via internal dip switches) for TB or buffered operation. Mono and Stereo too! I don't think there are a lot of stereo flangers out there. All and all, a very sweet sounding, extremely versitle chorus pedal!

The only knock on the unit I have read on TGP is that some consider it to be a little sterile sounding or more refined than what they look for in a chorus. In my experience, it does not do the real fat, thick, syrupy type chorus (ala Analogman Clone or the Maxon CS-9 Pro), but it does everything else, and a few things no other chorus I have heard can do. It is a tweaker's delight (or an anti-tweaker's nightmare, depending on your perspective). I does have a larger footprint than most chorus pedals (6" wide x 5" deep), but if you have the space on your board, you could do a lot worse...

3. kiergtr

kiergtr Member

Thanks for the tip. A local store has them. I have also heard good things about the Voodoo analog pedal.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Another to consider is the DLS Chorus~Vibe - super versatile as well. I think it does many tones VERY well (CE-1, TC, Vibrato, Leslie)...

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

t.c. electronic chorus/flanger

6. randy morser

randy morser Member

answer me this first. why use chorus to play jazz? where does that sound fit in? that roland amp mystified me.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, well- it mystifies the heck outa me, too - but some of my favorite players pour it on thick; Scofield, Stern, Krantz - I don't get it either..

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

the voodoo labs chorus has a noticeable volume jump when engaged, some may find that annoying. I like the analogman clone chorus, thick, lush and sweet. plenty of them used and they hold their value. Rugged and satisfying what more could you want?????????

9. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

FWIW, Sco and Krantz havn't used chorus for several years now as part of their main sound. Sco is just using it for the leslie/organ type sound.

David

10. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I've tried lots of choruses. One of the most versatile is the EBS Red Twister. With the speed down, you get no warble, just a nice dimensional enhancement. Turn up the speed and it warbles like a CE-1. Includes a deep switch and flanger option.

The DreamTone also has a switch that takes you from dimensional/TC style chorus to CE-1 warble.

John

11. kiergtr

kiergtr Member

Chorus can work really well for the right tune or style. I typically only use the chorus when I am comping Bossa tunes, for example, "Corcovado" or "How Insensitive". It can work well for some chord soloing, as well. Just MHO.

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I will give a big 1+ to the DLS chorus vib, although I am eager to hear more about dreamtone's stuff.

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

If you want versatile, then nothing comes close to the Boss CE-20. It has 6 different chorus types, including all the settings from the classic Dimension D, and the original classic CE-1. Plus one for acoustic, bass, and generic. You can program 4 presets, plus the manual setting for 5 switchable settings. There's even an ambience reverb control, and tone controls. The sounds are absolutely top notch. I've had the original CE-1, CE-2, DLS C-V, and a few others, and this is the top of the heap. Go to the Boss website and listen to the clips.

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the CE-20. Great sound, and the most versatile chorus out there.

15. jero

jero Member

I couldn't agree more. Great chorus and very versatile, although having only knobs for speed and debt may lead you to think otherwise.

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Who ever said you have to use a specific sound to play jazz?

17. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

There are plenty of Jazz/Fusion players that use chorusing. Check out the Analogman Clone and Arion SCH-1...the Arion works well for that type of music because it has a tone control that allows you to darken the sound a bit. The Analogman is just flat out a beautiful, lush chorus that also gets some nice leslie/vibrato tones.