Most Versatile Divided by 13 Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bforest4, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Which Divided by 13 Amp is the most versatile and can cover Vox, Fender and Marshall sounds from clean to high gain and in between? I am mainly using it for recording purposes, so can go with more or less watts. Also, what cabinet and speakers to compliment? Or, if you could get 2 which ones would you get to cover all the bases?

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

None of them really do that, IMO. Either that...or most of them do...a little bit.

Maybe I'd get the JJN 50-100 and the RSA 31. That would cover old school Marshall and Voxy stuff. If I wanted something more of a Fender sound than the Vox, I'd go with the FTR 37.

3. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

leon knows better than i do, but i would have said you are asking too much. if you wanted vox & marshall tones in one box, i would have said the rsa31 as well. fender with a bit of vox, the frt37. a more marshally space i would have said the rsa23 (for low watt sort of stuff) but all 3? i can't really think of 1 amp that does it except some mesa boogie sort fo thing.

/i
    p.s. i own the rsa23, have played the ert33, ftr37 & the rsa31. i want to hear the new one people have been talking about.

4. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Of the 3 D13 amps that I've had substantial time with, here's my opinion:

Easily the FTR 37 is the most versatile. Great clean, great headroom. Wicked reverb. Awesome click channel. For me, this is the GOLD standard of how an amp should sound. Works perfectly with my EJ strat and my R9. And takes pedals very, very well.

RSA 31 is totally Vox. Even w/ pedal it still maintains that classic Vox character but wasn't as versatile in all situations as my FTR 37.

RSA 23 is a nice grinder amp. Hardly ANY clean headroom at all. But if Marshall flavored gain is what you're after then this is the amp. BTW, Go with the large box head on this one because the click channel is really, really good (and different) that the TMB channel. I had a hard time determining if I liked this amp or the Germino Classic 45 better for all out crunch. Tough call, but I'd have to lean a little towards the Germino on this one for crunch. Kinda like picking a Mercedes over a BMW.

-Rich

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Hmmm maybe you could save some $ by getting the 10/20 to cover the Fender end of things instead of the 37 and getting the RSA 31 for the english tones.... The 37 is LOUD, if you are just using it for recording you might not need all that juice...

6. Jim

Jim Member

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

As the most versatile Divided by 13 Amp? Ummm....

I agree with the others in that the FTR-37 is probably the most versatile. I think you'd hear plenty of people say that the gain side sounds Marshall-inspired. But it really has its own thing going too...

8. studio8000

studio8000 Member

gosh.. narrowing D13's amps down to 2 is tough... down to one is even harder. but for the most wide range of tones i might have to say FTR37 and RSA23. i think the FTR does the fender clean really well and has a little of that british/vox chime to it.... and the RSA23 has that marshally aggresive crunch, but with a bit of vox in it as well.
    if you could do 3... i would probably do
    LDW for Marshall,
    RSA31 for Vox, and
    FTR(or SJT10/20) for Fendery

now that is a wicked 3~!!!

9. bforest4

From the posts so far, it doesn't look like one model covers all, how about one of the following combinations. 1. How about the JRT 9/15 to cover fender and vox? Does it do a good job at both compared to other Divided by 13 models? Maybe the new mastervolume lyle workman model to cover marshall? 2. Or would you rather go with a 10/20(or FTR 37) and an RSA 31?

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

The FTR-37's clean side has a mid-boost on it that takes it away from that Fender kind of thing. Its more of a Deluxe Reverb in the first place, and can go further away from that with the mid-boost engaged. Honestly the FTR is going to be the most versatile. Don't think that the gain side sounds like some overdriven Fender either, it grinds with the best of them. :)

11. bforest4

Finally bought an FTR37 a few days ago, it is really happening and incredibly versatile! Great cleans, killer mid crunch and really cool click channel heavier gain. Covers everything except for super high gain metal. Also love the four inputs which get you different flavors. The click channel is the first amp I have ever really liked when turning the volume knob on the guitar down. It gives you many different shades of gain without loosing impact, very cool.
    I am now hooked on /13, the FTR37 has exceeded all my expectations, but would still like to check out other models. I would like to compare it to an RSA31, because I usually favor EL84's for clean. Can the RSA31 hang with the FTR37 on cleans through heavy crunch? How similiar are they, does the RSA do the same thing but with more of the Vox chime? Thanks

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

The FTR is the best sounding, most versatile amp I've ever heard. Open air crunch and very 4x12 sounding out of the 2x12 cab....plenty of attitude. The cleans are very blackface Deluxe Reverb. In a room full of botique amps...the others fall short when compared to it IMHO.

13. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I agree with much of what has been said here, my FTR is such a great sounding amp, and it really is versatile... covers so much ground, i agree 100% with the Fender with a bit of vox thrown in on the reverb channel, and tweed meets marshall on the click channel, but it's own thing...

If i have to bring one amp to a gig (for anything other than heavy stuff), it's this one.. kind of a modern classic in the making.

14. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I have a ert33, I love how it sounds clean, big, full and open:AOK . When I push it (hard to do lately) it starts to break up and compress evenly up the volume scale and it likes a good OD, the CoT50 can get it to crunch convincingly, but I still want a rsa23, I am very drawn to the Marshall like crunch and grind:dude , and everything I heard recorded from them sounds like these 2 would be a great matched set for anything:BEER . Recording or gigging, It's just convincing myself :drool I need $6000.00+ in amplifiers:eek: . Well thats not entirely true I could do that, I already am:jo , but I still have to procure the funds for a 23 somehow :confused: with out getting rid of anything I like too much!!!:YinYang

15. enchan-ted

enchan-ted Member

I have an FTR and love the clean channel(duh) but am having the hardest time getting any enjoyment out of the click channel. I'm wondering if I need to re-tube it. It sounds very brittle and harsh....uncompressed? Yes, but to an annoying extent......any advice?