1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Most versatile preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slhguitar, Oct 3, 2006.

1. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I have heard that the Egnater M4 is very nice, what with its switchable modules and such. However, it is out of my price range, especially when you add the cost of 4 modules to the base price, bringing it to 3600+tax (according to the website). I need something that will do high gain chugga chugga riffs (metal and hardcore), as well as some nice high gain and mid gain lead tones. The cleans aren't that important, I have a fender that does those well enough.:D I would also like to use this preamp for both direct recording and use with a power amp. All-tube is a must, but I bet you all knew that.

My budget is around $1600 CDN for both preamp and power amp. I wanted to get a 20/20, but that would not leave too much cash for a preamp.

Any suggestions on preamps that fit the bill, and even a cheaper tube power amp, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Check out a used Peavey Rockmaster preamp. It's a very versatile amp, and can get some real nice overdrive tones all the way up to the chugga chug metal tones. The only complaint I have is both the gain channels share the same EQ. Other than that, It's a great piece of gear. Especially for what you'll probably pay for it.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 And before the buzz got out lately you could pick them up for nothing! I payed 79$ for mine 2 years ago! Not too shabby for an all tube 3 channel pre amp!:dude

4. pala

pala Member

VHT GP3 should do it for arround US $700 used...

Pala

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

ADA MP1 is really a great marshally preamp for about 2 bills.

6. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Is it possible to use multiple preamps with with same power amp? Using some sort of A/B/Y switching pedal or box or something? Or to use the same pedal for both?

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey slhguitar,

A stock ADA MP-1 guitar preamp can be had for under $200.00 used. You can modify them to give you a nice hotrodded tone. I modified a stock MP-1 preamp into an ADA Depot Mod4 MarkII MP-1 preamp. You can find the schematics for the mods here:

http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/detailled/ADA-MP-1/mods.htm
    http://www.adadepot.com/

I get a nice high gain modded Marshall tone, but the clean tube becomes useless, in a good way since it overdrives easily.:AOK The solid state clean channel nails the Roland JC 120 amp tones. A classic preamp which highly underrated.

Guitar George

8. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Any opinions on the mesa formula preamp? There is a used one for sale in a shop for $595 CDN. Is this a good deal, and what kind of tones could I expect from it?

9. trazan

trazan Member

That would make it a somewhat expensive preamp! :messedup The price for the M4 includes 4 modules though ;)

10. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

That makes much more sense. Alas, it is still out of my pricerange, even if I were to find one used.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

The Rockmaster is nice. For super high gain, I found it's best to use it at mid-gain with a pedal in front of it. I don't think it's great for a huge modern sound, though.

The problem with rack stuff is finding a good power amp. The SS ones suck and I never found a tube one that could clip the power tubes like an amp.

Plus, going rack is expensive, if you're not looking for a dozen different tones, I recommend sticking with a good head that fit's your bill.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just got thru putting my Rockmaster/Classic 50/50 thru its paces.Thru 2 1x12 cabs loaded with a V30 and G12H-30. All I can say is wow! I forgot how versatile AND wicked this rig is! I'm running an RFT 12AT7 in the V-1 to mellow out the gain a tad and GE long plates in the other 3 slots. With the RFT I can run the gain higher and its thick and tight. Everything from crunchy blues to scooped nu-metal tones is availible. One thing that would make this more versatile would be to make the crunch and lead channel gain pull knobs foot switchable.I bet it would be a fairly easy mod. As far as being able to clip the power tubes Im not too concerned with it as its not good for high gain stuff. It warms up nicely when pushed and thats just right for me. To think I paided 79$ for the pre amp is almost criminal! As far as expensive,well, Im sure you can get both these units for less than 500$. Sure makes a killer 3 channel ,100 watt ,EL84 powered head!

13. pala

pala Member

A friend switches 3 preamps in his rig using an Axess GRX4, same power amp for all of them.

Pala