Most versatile superstrat pickup config?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nosajwp, Aug 11, 2008.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

What pickup configuration (HSS, HSH, HH, HS, etc) do you guys think gives the most versatility and most useable sounds from a superstrat?

2. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    I need to know too!

I HATE the pups in my Shawn Lane Vigier (DiMarzios) and need a vintage sounding HH-S-HH config. Also for a HH-S-HH Mel I have... don't like the DiMarzios in there either.
    What HH pups give the best single coil split sounds, and how do you make it have less volume decrease (posts ? , etc) ..?

I like the split sounds form my Fralin Unbuckers in my Mel Custom T.

opinions on what is better? How are the Suhrs when split?

3. frank62

frank62 Member

The old red, gold, and blue Lace setup on Fenders.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

EMG SA-SA-89 with SPC.

5. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

The Suhr's split really nicely, (see below for disclosure;)) but the secret is in the wiring (which you can search for on GP). One of personal guitars has Evans in a HSH config, tone pot push pull toggles both buckers to s/c but the five way (Megaswitch E+) taps the buckers in pos 2 and 4 regardless and position 3 is always the neck and bridge together not the middle alone.

Megaswitch E+ is hard to find in North america so I modded an E regular from stew-mac. A more easily found superswitch (as used by Suhr) 4P5T can also be used.

Andy

6. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

I have a Suhr DSV and Fletcher Landau single coils in a strat... and seriously they are the greatest sounding pickups for what I want.. I love everything from SRV to Eric Johnson to early Luke to Michael Landau to Gilmour to Hendrix and all points in between.
    John Suhr really understands pickups and tone.. and I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun... you name a pickup and I'm sure I've tried in in the last 20 years... Suhrs absolutely nail it IMO..:D

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Last I checked, DiMarzio was making more than one pickup. Perhaps you can be more specific?

I'm using a DiM Breed Bridge in an HSS Silhouette Special MM, and really like it, both alone and split. Distinctly PAF sounding but it can rock hard too. Very versatile, big tight bottom, not in the least flabby or ear-piercing.

8. oldcoot

oldcoot Member

I was just thinking I would like to be able to have a guitar that would switch from P90's to Buckers and low and behold I saw an ad for Seymour Duncan's new PRails in the latest edition of Vintage Guitar. It has a small rail single coil attached to a full sized P90 and all fits in the hole of a regular sized humbucker. Says all you need is a small toggle to switch from rail, to bucker, to p90. It it sounds good this may be just what I was looking for on my next project.

Hope this is not old news but it looked new to me....

9. Kalalau Hiker

that sounds great. I REALLY want to check out the Suhr F - Landaus.
    do you have a humbucker that gets split in the neck?
    S -S- HH is no problem, but getting good "real" (not "decent") single coil strat sounds out of a neck split hummer seems to be a search that many have abandoned and say it's impossible.
    is there a Suhr HH pup that splits and sounds as good single as the F Landau?
    I also hear there is a big difference to splitting w a switch instead of knob pull up.. is that true?

thanks
    the Vigier has Dimarzio ....Air Classic/FS1/Air Classic. I hate em. Also don't like Shawn's clean sound - check out how he sounds on the hindi stuff through a low wattage amp - VERY thin and like some sort of piezo pup... ugh. NOTHING like a true vintage strat sound OR true LP type sound in HH mode. Guitar sis great for Hindi speed stuff - just sounds like crap IMO.

I know Dimarzio makes some GREAT PAF pups... but I hear PAF pups rarely split well to real S strat sounds.
    I HAVE heard that WCRs split well.

I want to get Santana AND Jimi neck pup sounds playing clean!
    I can approximate distorted Santana sounds on my 64 strat using a very mid rangey Ibanez Sound Tank.

suggestions?

10. Kalalau Hiker

I think there is a thread that talks about em here.

like that new Voxguitar - seems those pups (and the Vox) give the APPROXIMATION of all those pups...but not the REAL sound for real tone freaks

I played a Vox at Philly guitar show and was VERY disappointed in the single coil sound ... not true stratty at all.... sounds like just another poorly split humbucker in the single coil mode. the other sounds were good though.

not sure about the S Duncan pup - check around here for some word on it.

11. matte

matte Senior Member

ramos staggered rod hums with stacked charlie christian middle pickup.
    [​IMG]

12. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I have a Suhr Pro Series and have the FL's and a SSV in the bridge and am very happy with that set-up. The SSV is my fav humbucker right now and the guitar really sounds sweet in the 4th position. I also added the BPSSC system on the guitar and the guitar is sounding amazing with that system. It really does work!

13. candid_x

I have no experience with Vigier or Dimarzio Air Classic or FS1, but I did just go to listen to some clips, and though not a great sample, from what I've heard I would agree with your estimate.

Imo, the Bridge Breed (can't speak for the neck B), split, offers a more authorative drive than a typical split PAF, but yet it still sounds like a true quacky position 2. I'm spending a lot of time in position 2 since installing this pickup, as it covers a wide range, from country clean, country raunch to Allman Bros, and into the edge of more modern rock. My own style includes some Santana-ish vibe, and I get in that tone territory between positions 1, 2 and 5, with the help of a brown mod Maxon OD9.

The Breed is specially disigned (according to the DM site) for 25 1/2" scale trem solid body guitars. It didn't disappoint.

Just for reference, it's joined with two stock MM Silo Special single coils, which are in the alnico 5 warm and medium output range.

I'm actually surprised I don't hear more about this Breed pickup.

14. Kalalau Hiker

Thanks!

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

Yep. I've got a DSV plus 2 V60LPs. Incredible tone ... at the vintage to classic rock end of the spectrum. I have mine hooked up to the 5 way switch with auto-split on the DSV in position 4, and a push pull on the tone knob to split the DSV in position 5 (which gives a very convincing bridge single coil tone). The DSV sounds really good when split.

I'd imagine HSH would give more tonal possibilities with some clever wiring ... myself, I could never compromise on the neck single coil tone though (that's the tone for me ... I think I could live with a guitar that only did that).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  16. Kalalau Hiker

that seems to be the common sentiment among strat players

I wonder why no one has ever come up w a design that has a neck single coil right next to a neck Humbucker - and just have a switch to select which one is used. ??

17. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

It's called an EMG 89. OF course you have to like EMG's for it to work. I have a strat setup with the SA-SA-89 setup and I haven't found anything that I can't do with that guitar.

Edit: Almost for got the Duncan P-Rails. These are supposed to be the same concept but I have only tried them very briefly in a friend's LP Custom when I installed a set of them for him. They are a major pain to wire up too.

18. Jazzocaster

Jazzocaster Member

[​IMG]

At its heart its a standard strat.. then you can add the fourth single coil for a humbucker sound.. great pickup config if you dont want to sacrifice the single coil sound but also want a humbucker in the bridge..

I dont own one, but if i were to build a superstrat thats what i'd do.
    Check out some video demos of the guitar (Xotic Guitar XS-4 vids 1,2 & 3).. http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/video/joshsmith2/index.html

19. candid_x

20. candid_x

Part of the mojo of a neck single coil, though, is having it located where the 24th fret would be on a 22 fret guitar.