MOTHER!*(#&@*)&#! Floyd Rose Setup.... HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GuitarGuy510, Jun 30, 2006.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey guys,

As you can tell from the title I'm EXTREMELY frustrated with the Floyd on my Ibanez 7 string right now. I just picked it up, installed the new pickups and went to set it up.... WOWZERS the bridge won't set up properly! I have been adjusting the two screws on the trem spring plate trying to get the bridge to keep from pointing diagonally upwards, and no matter what I do, it just WON'T work for me!!!! :mad: Also, I've tried repeatedly stretching the strings and it won't stay in tune at all. Any tips for what I might be doing wrong? GAH.... at least I know the pickups work! :rolleyes: Thanks guys!

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Have the bridge knife edges fallen out of the grooves at the top of the pivot posts and are now resting against the screw threads lower down?

This commonly happens when you take all the strings off at the same time and gives exactly the result you describe.

4. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Yeah John,

When I received the guitar the guy slackened all of the strings to the point that the floyd was flipped up when I received it. How can I can the knife edges back up on the top of the pivot posts? Thanks for the help so far guys... feeling a LITTLE bit better now! :AOK

5. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I had that problem on my Vandenberg at one point. I removed all but one tremolo spring and re-seated the knife edges onto the pivot post. The one spring provided enough tension to hold it in place, but not so much that I couldn't move it. Once it was back on the pivot posts correctly, I reinstalled the other two springs.

Don't know if that's the right way, or the best way, or even a good way... but it worked for me.