• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Mother of toilet seat: Where do you stand?

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
In ‘96 I thought it looked cool. I had a ‘94 American Standard Strat in Fiesta Red, and put a white MOTS pickguard on it. I took it off a couple of weeks later. I don’t care for it now.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I rather like it - I even got a white pearloid pickguard cut for the P90's when I replaced the orig. MFD pickups that came from the factory in the same looking pick guard. With the exception of the pickups the guitar looks like it did when they created it at the factory.

bsacamano

I'm no spring chicken but I am significantly younger than the TGP average age of 83. Was this stuff ever actually on toilet seats or did that name come from somewhere else? If so, when? I've seen a lot of toilets in my life, many of them old but have never seen this material on a toilet seat, or really anywhere else, outside of guitars.

Anyways, I think it looks good as the pickguard on that cherry burst American Deluxe Tele.

bigtone23

The clean appearance of the EMGs helps in this case.

Though MOTO in a different color on pickup covers may help your overall aim...
I would prefer black pickups and knobs with the green, but I'm not going to buy another set for that. Those pickups have been on that guitar since 1993, it's a family.
I'm no spring chicken but I am significantly younger than the TGP average age of 83. Was this stuff ever actually on toilet seats or did that name come from somewhere else? If so, when? I've seen a lot of toilets in my life, many of them old but have never seen this material on a toilet seat, or really anywhere else, outside of guitars.
Back in the 70s, I saw it in some houses that were built/remodeled mid century or earlier. I thought those toilets looked really 'Vegas.' My mom would comment on how 'tacky' it looked.

Digidog

I don't stand, with regards to MOTS - I sit. But hey: You do you for number two!

Regarding fake "pearly" finishes, I like them in the right contexts. Some come out cool, some look punk-y, some look classy, while others look like cessy trash.

Mostly I like it.

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
I rather like it - I even got a white pearloid pickguard cut for the P90's when I replaced the orig. MFD pickups that came from the factory in the same looking pick guard. With the exception of the pickups the guitar looks like it did when they created it at the factory.
In this case the quilt is practically MOTO -plain guard would be odd.

wraub

...I don't think I've ever posted a guitar pic that made somebody angry, so it's a material that can definitely provoke a reaction. I still like it. :)

fjrabon

looks like your bridge got improved along the way too.
Yeah, I had always had in mind a certain idea of an ideal thinline. And that was really close to it as far as the body, neck and finish went. Changed out the guard, bridge (Callaham), pickups(Lindy fralin) and tuners (it actually came with really nice locking tuners, but I put the 70s style on because they’re lighter and they helped with the balance, since it neck dove a little with locking tuners on it.)

Mikhael

On the right guitar, I like a white pearloid pickguard. That's about as far as I go with it. The red, green, etc. MOTS, not so much. And as a finish on the guitar itself? Ew.

But then, I have a metalflake sunburst finish on a Yamaha RGZ, so what do I know...

And to answer the one poster, yes - toilet seats used to be made with this gunk for a while. To me, they looked like the stuff that passed through them.

Angstwulf

Gold Supporting Member

On the rim. Keeps my feet from getting wet.

I like a pearloid pick guard, especially a green one. And these guitars look great on stage for playing any music that calls for a Nudie suit.

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member

On the rim. Keeps my feet from getting wet.

I like a pearloid pick guard, especially a green one. And these guitars look great on stage for playing any music that calls for a Nudie suit.
LOL.

And as centered as possible.

Really better to sit, actually.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom