Motion Sound SRV 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitargris, Feb 17, 2012.

1. gitargris

gitargris Member

Hi,
    Anyone tried these or using them? I'm very curious, but they're kind of hard to find here in Norway. They look very interesting. I feel my GAS building...;)

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Have you looked at the Ventillator?????? Its a pedal that is probably the best pedal. Motion sould makes a good unit, but it weighs more and is a lot bigger than a pedal.

3. gitargris

gitargris Member

Nah.. Not really interested in a pedal. Plus it's so expensive you're almost half-way or more to the cab, already.

4. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I am interested in this, as well. Used an original Fender Vibra-Tone cab back in the day, but got tired of the motor noise and the squeaking... :(

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. gitargris

gitargris Member

I also got the idea from the Vibratone, but it seemed to me that finding one here in Norway was even more improbable than finding a Motion Sound dealer..:)

6. lestera34

lestera34 Member

I had started a thread about these months ago and no one ever chimed in. Would definitely try one of those before I purchased a Vibratone though. Most anyone I've talked to that had one says they are cool (and I'm sure nothing beats the sound of an original Leslie), but that they are a pain in terms of service, lugging around, etc.

7. gitargris

gitargris Member

A full Leslie is way beyond what's practical for me (or anyone):) Hopefully, I will find something. I have sent an e-mail to Motion Sound to ask about dealers here in Norway, so I'll see what happens.

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I've played through one a few times, it sounded great, but hauling it around is a commitment.

9. gitargris

gitargris Member

I've never tried a Leslie, though it would be fantastic to try one some time. However, I had hoped to have one I could take to gigs and practice without a crew of roadies..:)

10. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I made a Leslie from parts of an organ that had a small Leslie insted. It had an 8" speaker and I put a 10" in and made a small cabinet on wheels for easy mobility. It really didn't weigh too much.

I heavily considered this for awhile.
    http://www.mahaffayamps.com/rotary-wave.htm

11. gitargris

gitargris Member

Sounds cool to make your own Leslie! I considered the Rotary Wave too for a while, but it seemed a bit fragile and not very gig-worthy. But it sounds quite alright from the few demos I've heard. It annoys me a little that there doesn't seem to be any demos for the SRV cabs.

Premier Guitar had a good review of it, though.

12. gitargris

gitargris Member

Bump for more interest... Do anyone know of any demos of this cab?

13. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

I just bought one (SRV-112) and received it a few days ago. It's not terribly heavy (maybe 35 lbs.) and is about the size of a 1x12 cabinet, only deeper.

There's no horn, so it's not quite like the full leslie experience, but it sounds good so far. I will try & report back here once I've had a chance to take it to a full band rehearsal and gig.

Supposedly the bearing is permanently lubricated and will not require maintenance. I'm guessing there's a belt in there that may require maintenence, but it could be a direct-drive motor with no belt; not sure....

The neat feature is that it stops with the drum opening facing forward, so it can be used as a regular 1x12. The older Motion Sound cabs did not do this.

14. gitargris

gitargris Member

Congrats!
    I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences. I hope you can tell me something about how it holds up as a regular cabinet in addition to how it sounds as a rotary cab.

Any chance you could make some sound samples or something? That would be great.

15. gawfshot

gawfshot Member

I have one. The "Achilles heel" of these units is the mdf they're made of. One bump and you're done. I took mine to a cabinet maker and had it copied in quality plywood.
    I bought a damaged one on the bay for backup and sent it to Motion Sound for repair. It went to their dumpster after they informed me they no longer make parts for it.
    And there IS a rubber belt, much like you'd find in a turntable.

16. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I had one years ago shortly after they came out. Besides being made of MDF (heavy duty particle board) it was very dark sounding and had a noticeable volume drop when engaged. I tried swapping speakers but that didn't help. There was a modification that Motion Sound published to address both the volume and tone problem that involved cutting a hunk out the rotating drum (a big chunk of plastic). I felt nervous about doing it myself (I pictured a shattered mass of plastic on the floor) so I ended up selling mine. Hopefully the newer ones already have this mod done to the drum.

17. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I know how gas can feel, but I would give some thought to teleman's suggestion on the Ventilator. As a gigging keyboard player I've done it all from a real Leslie to a Dynacord CLS, a bunch of newer simulators and finally the Ventilator which I find to be amazingly realistic. I would think the Motion Sound limits you to the tone and power of the speaker that is in there, plus it's big to lug around. The Ventilator gets you that Leslie effect, but you can use it thru your existing amps which I would imagine are the tone and power you want. Just a thought.

18. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

I've played the Ventilator and was underwhelmed. I preferred the H&K Rotosphere.

The thing is, nothing sounds quite like a real rotary cab.

It's all about risk/reward, pros/cons, etc. I choose to deal with the cons to enjoy the pros of having an actual spinning sound. I do keep the Rotosphere around though for the right circumstance.

19. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

The Motion Sound didn't sound near as good as my Leslie 18.

Try this...

Guitar>preamp(s)>Amp>LinePreamp out>Comp>Leslie sim>Delay>2nd amp(lo-fi)

I can get a rig like this to sound very close to my Leslie 18, with the added benefits of delay and sustain as well as keeping your dry sound. It's like getting a 2nd voice to your tone. With 2 small amps it's very portable.

20. I3enjam1n

I3enjam1n Member