Motivation. What crazy methods do you use?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RockStarNick, Mar 15, 2015.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

So I'm doing some research for a UX Class I'm taking. I'm working on a self-help, motivational App.

I'm asking people what motivational techniques they use, when attempting to accomplish a goal.

Of course a cash-reward is always nice. But what else motivates you? Do you have any crazy, wacky motivational techniques that have worked for you?

2. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

the best motivation for me is plain old anger and disgust. once I'm angry enough at myself for not doing something or procrastinating, I dive in head first and usually get the wheels rolling at full steam ahead.

3. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

I was going to put a bunch of ideas I have here, but then I realized i've been procrastinating on a project I need to get done for like 3 weeks.

Obviously I suck at this.

4. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Sadly, spite has been one of my strongest motivators.

5. gigs

gigs Member

Fear of failure.

6. Macleod

Macleod Member

Mine too. Generally, it's at my assembly guy for doing things that make himself sick, or injured, rendering him all but useless at work for weeks on end. Since NAMM, he's been sick or injured for all but a two week period.
    During those times, I tend to go bonkers winding coils.
    Needless to say, we have a lot of stuff in stock right now, and he's struggling to catch up.

7. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Love and grace.

8. s2y

s2y Member

Spite and revenge work for me.

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

A whip, a chair, some rope and a laptop. I take the rope, tie myself to the chair with the laptop in front of me and hand the whip to my boss. Works every time and the job gets done correctly and quickly...

10. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Simply wanting the result more than I un-want the process of getting said result. If the former is not greater than the later I'm unlikely to be motivated.

11. -alex

-alex Silver Supporting Member

Have you looked at recent CHI proceedings & reviewed the lit?

I think you'll need to narrow the context to a specific usage case. Methods and motivations vary for differing types of self help. Are you thinking of physical tasks, mental, therapy, learning, etc? Is the goal internally motivated or external? Does the resulting achievement apply only to yourself or others? Is the goal achievable? How do you know when it is achieved? Can you measure progress?

What platform and device are you thinking for the app? That will imply a certain audience and use case.

When you choose a motivational technique, will you have a good control method? Can you eliminate confounding factors? How to you plan to test against your NULL hypothesis?

Experimental design is difficult :)

12. gweeterman1

gweeterman1 Supporting Member

My wife
    Bitching��

13. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Great post alex.

The app would be a new-take on habit-forming, revolving around keeping an unbroken streak going.

There's already a few apps like this, but I'm trying to spin this one with a fun, gamification factor. i.e. group contests (See who can hold out the longest, group buy-in, winner takes all $$$, etc) public accountability (i.e. linking to social media networks, public shame if you lose, etc).

I'm trying to think of anything else that would be a fun motivator, but non monetary. One idea was a "Embarrassing Secret reveal." If someone does not succeed at keeping their streak going, it would automatically announce an embarrassing secret. Something like that.

14. -alex

Gamification can be a nice approach. It buys into some people being very competitive.

If you choose a mode where people compete directly against each other, it is important to make the relative ranking and score easily accessible. The downside is that a low score can be de-motivating.

You might want to consider team based gamification to build in a support network among the participants.

I think the embarrassing secret reveal is probably better reserved for drinking games. I think you want to develop self-sustaining positive re-enforcement system. Can you build good habits that take on a life beyond the game/app?

Have you looked at CHI's gamification workshop? http://gamification-research.org

15. -alex

On second thought, the embarrassing secret reveal / negative stimulus could be modified into a positive re-enforcement. Could you combine something like the ALS ice-bucket challenge into a fail?

Imaging a team based game, where the goal is lose weight or master a guitar riff. If a participant fails and needs a boost, the team helps them do something positive if somewhat embarrassing.

16. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

Nothing. I just do it.

17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

You had right up to "laptop", cowboy.
    ;)

18. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

Also gamification is one of the most retarded trends to have surfaced in recent memory.

19. -alex

Don't be ignorant.

Look up foldit, nano crafter, refraction, the esp game.

20. MVrider

MVrider Member

Doesn't matter. None of them work. But the "motivation industry" is enormous.