MOTOR CITY PICKUPS Custom Winds have arrived!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by plecoman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. plecoman

plecoman Member

Firstly, I am gonna start off by saying how I came across the good Wade at MCP! I have been a great fan to Lovepedal for years, and own more or less everything he makes. He has the best ear around and knows his tone. I chatted to him about needing humbuckers, and he told me to give Wade at MCP a call. Obviously I did, and just for a chat I could tell he was immensely knowledgeable, and ordered my first set from him. They blew my socks off, so I ordered my 2nd set, then now, the THIRD set! He never gets it wrong!

I wanted a Peham blue 335, but can’t afford one. So I bought an Epiphone Supernova I found cheap! Now the Epiphone Semi-hollows sound notoriously bad, and this one is no exception. Acoustically it was like playing a plastic box with strings on, trebly as hell, no mids/bass… Just BAD! Plugged in its also lifeless and thin. I put a set of handwound PAF clones in the guitar, and not much improvement. I called Wade up. And described what I needed. I told him the problems, how I need a far bar meatier set to compensate the guitar’s crappiness. A lot of bass and mid, less treble response, but still remaining very airy and semi-hollow sounding.

He told me he will do a completely custom wind for me, with all this in mind. He made the bridge PU hotter, and darker tonally. They turned out to be A5 based, and in Wade’s words “Different turn count for the coils too, but are of a more symmetrical winds. They are intended to have more lows and mids but still retain a chimey high end without being harsh”. He certainly got that right! They use PE wires, and also all custom magnets and materials too. The set ended up as 9.26k in the bridge and the neck is at 7.55 k.

I installed them, and what a change to the tone of the guitar. The bridge is now full sounding, excellent mid and bass response, and adequate trebles, JUST like I requested. It sounds very gentle when played clean, quite acoustic-like. Through a cranked up JCM800, it has a fat LP style vibe, really broad frequency range that cuts through in the band mix.
    The neck PU is by far the one I prefer though, on clean, it is too sweet, clear, articulate and warm. You really had to hear the Epiphone BEFORE the pickups were in to appreciate how amazing they are. I have a 81 Gibson 335 and now the Epiphone has a sweeter neck and middle tone than it. With distortion, it is not muddy, but moans and screams at the same time.

Here is the website of his pickups:
    http://www.motorcitypickups.com/

I did one rehearsal with the guitar and already one gig last night as the MAIN guitar, had great feedbacks from the band and everyone else. The set had the proper frequencies to cut through the mix in the right places. Thanks again for the great set Wade! Here are some of the pics of the pickups, and the guitar they are in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kahuna

kahuna Member

hey how much for a custom wind?

3. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

Looks good!! Bet it sounds even better.

I love my Motor City "Torques". They turned a great guitar into a transcendent guitar. Wade's a class act to boot.

4. plecoman

plecoman Member

Depends on what you ask for man! THey range from 240-260 bucks I think. Shouldn't cost more than his standard models.

5. plecoman

plecoman Member

I nearly got that set! That, along with the Afwayu are the ones I seriously need to get my hands on... But the problem with Pickups is... you need the GUITAR for them to go into!!

Now I have a Hellbaby set , and a Detroiter/Black belts crossover customs set. The crossover set have aged gold covers, and are installed in a 78 Custom... They were the first set I got and got me hooked on Wade's coils!

Here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]