Motown 'Guitar' Riffs~Motown has some of the most famous guitar riffs of all time!

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Most folk don't realize that Motown's Music is 'full' of great guitar playing.
& Motown had/has a 'ton' of hits ...Let's share some of these ...
Riffs which are simply part of America's DNA ... Yet hardly ever talked about here on TGP.

Here's a couple you'll instantly recognize.

Last edited:

Turi

Yeah I love Motown. Tonnes of great guitar work. Immediately recognisable riffs even if it's not all about the guitar.
Jackson 5 has a heap you'd recognise within about half a second if that.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
If you are ever in Motown be sure to hit (no pun intended) the Motown museum. You can go in to the studio. Super-cool. When I was there, the artwork on the wall by the ticket desk was the original artwork from Innervisions.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I came of age in Detroit during the Motown heyday and my Mom was a session flute player at the studio (just a big old remodeled house). Those riffs were the soundtrack of my high school and early college days. There was nothing like cruisin' Woodward Ave. in a convertible on a hot summer day with Motown on the radio. It WAS the sound of the city and everyone regardless of age or race was into Motown.

Those riffs were done with few but oh-so-tasty notes played clean through classic tube amps (edit: or clean direct as posts below correctly state); no million notes, no fancy pedal boards, no boutique anything; just great seasoned musicians.

Last edited:

Sean French

Most folk don't realize that Motown's Music is 'full' of great guitar playing.
& Motown had/has a 'ton' of hits ...Let's share some of these ...
Riffs which are simply part of America's DNA ... Yet hardly ever talked about here on TGP.

Here's a couple you'll instantly recognize.

MR. White wrote and recorded one of the greatest riffs of all time with My Girl. :dude
I'm a huge Motown fan. The Funk Brothers were an amazing studio band.
When I decided to learn some bass I dug into Motown. My favorite Jamerson is Ain't Too Proud to Beg.
Though he and the Bro's were awesome on everything IMO.:aok

bob-i

The Oreo guitar section, amazing what those guys did. Robert White on the right, Eddie Willis on the left, and the white guy, Joe Messina in the middle.

I learned so much guitar by listening to these 3 guys, tone, percussion, funky little lines, making 3 guitars into 1 by working the parts and tones together.

sixstringfuel

Hotdogs kill
MR. White wrote and recorded one of the greatest riffs of all time with My Girl. :dude
I'm a huge Motown fan. The Funk Brothers were an amazing studio band.
When I decided to learn some bass I dug into Motown. My favorite Jamerson is Ain't Too Proud to Beg.
Though he and the Bro's were awesome on everything IMO.:aok
The funk brothers were the unsung heroes of motown!
No pun intended.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Back in 80's I played a bunch of gigs with oldies acts, one of which was Marv Johnson, the first act Berry Gordy signed. The dude took a bus to the gig! He was a sweetheart and groove to play with.
Gene Chandler was on that bill. We played Duke of Earl, he collected his dough and split.
I got to play with Martha Reeves who didn't want to hear no Memphis soul guitar stuff...only 'chink' on 2 and 4.
That was a day I got schooled.

Trending Topics