• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mott the Hoople: All the Way from Memphis

bagpipe

It must be at least 40 years since I've listened to this classic track from Mott the Hoople. What a great song. I seem to remember watching a video of it on The Old Grey Whistle Test back in the day. They used to play videos (before the video era) of tracks set to old black and white cartoons.

Listening again now, I'd totally forgotten about the tasty guitar playing throughout. I'm guessing this was Mick Ralphs playing?

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
I seem to remember the name Ariel Bender that I think was Mick Ralph's stage persona . I also remember a guitar with an H-shaped body.

then again, I'm old so it could just be figments of my imagination :D

BUK

Saw them at the Fox theater in Atlanta in '74! So good! Kicked ass!
It was REO Speedwagon, Mott and Queen! Queen cancelled because Freddy took ill. It was a looong time ago and this is the best I can recall.
No wonder Freddy took ill, I just looked up setlist.fm and the had just finished 5 dates at the Uris Theater!!

abby_normal

Big Mott fan back in the day. Mick left when Ian couldn't sing Can't Get Enough of Your Love. Paul Rogers could.
Guitarist Luther Grosvenor, formerly of Spooky Tooth, went by the name of Ariel Bender while in Mott the Hoople.
Legend has it that Ralphs was walking down a street and was bending every car antennae as he passed them which is how the name Ariel Bender originally came about.

Last edited:

gennation

I still listen to this and their other albums regularly. I saw the Mott tour in 2019, that was the first time seeing Ian, I was not disappointed. I even named my son after Ian, as well as all the other great rocking Ian’s, but mainly Hunter.

Last edited:

fitz

I loved Mott the Hoople and especially Mick Ralph's guitar playing then and in Bad Company. In this tune, it sounds to me like a Les Paul Jr and is one of my favorite tones. When he pulls off that soaring harmonic in one of the solo fills, I still get chills til this day.

Litterick

It must be at least 40 years since I've listened to this classic track from Mott the Hoople. What a great song. I seem to remember watching a video of it on The Old Grey Whistle Test back in the day. They used to play videos (before the video era) of tracks set to old black and white cartoons.
Here’s Felix:

I loved those old cartoons on Whistle Test; so much more fun than a promo video.

I wanted to show the opening scene from Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore, but it seems the lawyers have taken it down.

Summary:

"A view of the town of Soccoro, New Mexico with Mott the Hoople's All the Way From Memphis blasting on the soundtrack. Inside a tacky, blue-collar home is Alice trying to sew and she turns down her son's record player. Alice is clearly a bright and witty woman that clowns around with her son, but stuck with a bored, uncommunicative husband that works as a Coca Cola truck driver. He berates and threatens her for her son's bratty antics and behavior."

Last edited:

Spupilup

Saw them at the Fox theater in Atlanta in '74! So good! Kicked ass!
It was REO Speedwagon, Mott and Queen! Queen cancelled because Freddy took ill. It was a looong time ago and this is the best I can recall.
No wonder Freddy took ill, I just looked up setlist.fm and the had just finished 5 dates at the Uris Theater!!
I saw them at the Uris. I was thirteen and owned Queen II but the real draw was Mott. It was a great show. I can't remember which night it was but it had to have been a weekend otherwise I would have had a lot of convincing to do in order to get my folks to let me take the train into Manhattan on a school night.

Reactions: BUK