• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mott the Hoople: All the Way from Memphis

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for posting, OP. I'm listening to the song over headphones, something I've never done before and this track freaking rocks.

BUK

I saw them at the Uris. I was thirteen and owned Queen II but the real draw was Mott. It was a great show. I can't remember which night it was but it had to have been a weekend otherwise I would have had a lot of convincing to do in order to get my folks to let me take the train into Manhattan on a school night.
Cool! It DID happen! They did tour together!

Nobtwiddler

Uris theater, 1974 I believe, it was, with Queen opening
(first time Queen performed in the USA) and the first time a Rock band was allowed to play on a broadway stage!
Mott required that kinda of staging because of all the props & puppets, they had for those shows. Broadway was all setup for that!

I was there all 3 nights, shows were amazing as was the parties backstage!

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I loved Mott the Hoople and especially Mick Ralph's guitar playing then and in Bad Company. In this tune, it sounds to me like a Les Paul Jr and is one of my favorite tones. When he pulls off that soaring harmonic in one of the solo fills, I still get chills til this day.
Did we not determine that Ralphs is not playing this posted track?

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
Yep, some of my earliest lead guitar work was playing Mick's riffs in this song. Love Mott.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
It must be at least 40 years since I've listened to this classic track from Mott the Hoople. What a great song. I seem to remember watching a video of it on The Old Grey Whistle Test back in the day. They used to play videos (before the video era) of tracks set to old black and white cartoons.

Listening again now, I'd totally forgotten about the tasty guitar playing throughout. I'm guessing this was Mick Ralphs playing?

Cool production, really committing to panning instruments and vocals.

Donn Rowe

Mick Ralphs played the studio version, Mott the Hoople. I believe there was a live version with Arial Bender on Mott the Hoople Live. So they both played it! My first hearing of it was live Mott the Hoople then later, I heard the studio version :)

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Let's get the facts straight.

Mick Ralphs played on "All The Way From Memphis."

Ariel Bender was the stage name of Luther Grosvenor. That's the correct spelling. It's pronounced Grovenor.

rwmct

was able to see Hunter "solo" (he had Ronson with him several of the times I saw him) many times. Never got to see Mick Ralphs.

I was not a Bad Company fan, but I have wondered if Ralphs ever did his "Cadillac El Camino Dolo Roso" thing live with Bad Company. I love that track. Might not have fit with the Bad Company vibe, though, I don't know.

C-RAM

Silver Supporting Member
Let's get the facts straight.

Mick Ralphs played on "All The Way From Memphis."
Bad Company fans should recognize his distinctive 'voice' -

It's like a movie or TV show that has Harry Morgan in it; I can be in another room, but as soon as I hear his voice I know "That's Harry Morgan".

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
Yup, great song. Remember the cover by Contraband? Michael Schenker and Tracii Guns.
Man, that's a tour de force in 'hair metal lead guitar'. Shameless over the top riffing - pretty great all the way through- but from 3:30 on it's just 2 great players cranking it out over a 2 chord vamp.

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen Mott and Ian solo and always enjoyed the show immensely. My brother saw IH a couple of years, dude is in his 70's and Rockin' as hard as anyone out there.