Motu 16A

champion ruby

I'm looking for 16 channels of AD/DA for feeding my desk to mix analog and looking at the Motu 16A. Any other options for $2k or less? I don't want an interface with preamps, just decent DA conversion for one trip out of the box and ideally thunderbolt or USB connectivity.

OctalSocket

I've had one for about 4 months now - sounds great, low latency (less than 2ms round trip) when used with Thunderbolt.

I have it setup in a mode that allows it to be both a standalone mixer, and an audio interface at the same time. That way, I can get headphone mixes together independent of the recording software, using an ipad app.

Anything in particular you want to know?

champion ruby

Cool! Have you compared the sound to other converters? I imagine this paired with a Burl B2 for the trip back in would be killer and not much more spendy than a Lynx Aurora 16 or similar.

tucsonsound

It's better than the Lynx. I use it with an analog desk, but as with the other poster I use the built-in digital mixer for monitor mixes rather than cue mixing on the console. They just released an update today for graphic editing of the EQs, pre-post meter switching, etc... My default patch has my DAW mix feeding outputs 1-2, outputs 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8 as 3 stereo cue mixes from the 16A, and outputs 9-16 feeding the desk. I'll stem submixes though those desk outs for outboard bus processing.

OctalSocket

Cool! Have you compared the sound to other converters? I imagine this paired with a Burl B2 for the trip back in would be killer and not much more spendy than a Lynx Aurora 16 or similar.
Not directly. It replaced a rather elderly setup consisting of an Alesis HD24xr (as converters) into an old RME hammerfall in an old PC. It's quite a bit better than that.

I did compare it with the UA Apollo 16 and Apogee symphony, on paper. All good products, for sure, but the 16a gave the performance of the other two for less money. Since I'm moving projects around to different computers all the time, the UA plugin workflow didn't really work for me.

A fellow I know did compare them directly, and ended up with the 16a, so that factored in heavily.

MOTU support has been excellent.

I've not heard the Burl, but most people love them.

zastruga

I've had one for about a year and a half and love mine. My band's last album was mostly recorded at my house on it if you'd like to hear what it sounds like. I say mostly because two tracks were recorded in a real studio with a high-end mortgage priced desk, I'll leave it to you to figure out which:

https://sinkholetexas.bandcamp.com/album/phantom-freight

As everyone above seems to do, I also use the built in digital mixer for monitor/headphone mixes and it's incredibly convenient. Especially since I can just give bands my Wifi password and they can go control their own headphone mix with their smart phones (no app required, it pushes everything to a local webpage). I have very little outboard gear though, so final mixing is all done in the DAW.

All in all, I have been extremely satisfied with it. ZERO issues and latency has never been a problem, even connected via USB and running all 16 of my preamps (connected via ADAT), 4 stereo headphone mixes, and two stereo monitor mixes (including live playback from the DAW). I plan on adding more Motu ins/outs eventually, so I can have more dedicated outboard gear and finer control over monitor mixes, but the 16A definitely brought my home setup from a "good enough for demos, I guess" situation to actually hanging note for note with our studio recordings.

Trending Topics