Motu 828 Mkii

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MattB, Oct 26, 2005.

1. MattB

MattB Member

So I think I am going to pick one of these up. My question is, how well does is handle simultaneous tracking? I do alot of live recording in my band an need around 8 channels simultaneous from various mics in front of cabs, drums, etc. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I will be running into a PC via firewire. AMD Athlon (64) 3700+, 1 GIG Ram, running XP Pro.

Thanks for any info and experiences you may have.

-MattB

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

You're aware it only has 2 XLR inputs, right?

3. MattB

MattB Member

yes and 8 ins?

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yes, 8 inputs total, of which 2 are either XLR or balanced. So if you use mic transformers, you could record with 8 mics. It won't let you "mix" with it - i.e., faders or knobs for each channel. You have to select each channel individually, then set the level - unless you are using the MOTU software that lets you do faders onscreen.

I've never used mine for remote recording, but there's no reason to think it wouldn't work, within the limitations mentioned above. If you want a track per input, it would be a way to go. But you might also consider a mixer into two channels. Might be a more intuitive interface, even if you don't have all the flexibility of the MOTU.

Also compare specs on the MOTU Traveller. Very similar to the 828/II from what I've read, but I've never used one.

5. Moose

Moose Member

I've run an 828mkII off a board for the PA. Used the inserts (half way) and ran the snake from the board inserts to the 8 analog ins on the back.

Worked just fine, and was pretty much seamless from the band's perspective, but that method assumes they aren't using the insert channels for effects on individual tracks.

For an idea on bandwidth, I've run 8 tracks at once into Logic 5 on a laptop with 1.25Gb and a 3GHz pentium. I had to record at 48K but it worked fine. With a faster drive in that computer, I bet I could have been able to handle even more.

6. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

828's are nice units, have 3, and all of them needed LCD replacement after about a year, sending the 3rd one in for replacement now..but they still work, just the LCD goes dead.. I hate to be negative, but just somthing to think about..
    E.B.

7. MattB

MattB Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I am looking at picking up a Mackie CFX 16 or 20 to pair with the MOTU. I wont be using any ourboard effects on live recordings for filling the inserts shouldn't be an issue.

Now I just need to decide on a good pair of overheads....man this is a bottomless pit.

:)

-MattB

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Not only is it a bottomless pit, when you're done with the pit you can't sell it for much. ;)

I recently bought a Traveler, and like it very much. All of the inputs are balanced XLR (4) or TRS (also balanced). I think the 1/4 inch inputs on the 828 are also TRS balanced.

I have recorded 8 tracks at once with it.