MOTU DP4 Configuration Help Needed

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by decay-o-caster, Sep 17, 2004.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

So here's the situation -

My friend Rob is a huge Digital Performer fan, and when I was ready to start getting into recording tunes and demos on my Mac G4 (OS10.3) he told me MOTU was the way to go. Especially because, as he said, I'd get free OJT and tech support from him. And besides, it's easy to use.

So I called up Sweetwater and ordered a MOTU 828 MkII, DP4, then aw hell, why not, got Mach Five, aw hell, why not, got a Radium 49 midi controller to trigger it for drum parts and organ washes, aw hell, why not, got a couple of mics (E609 and a Studio Projects C3). Started installing stuff willy-nilly, albeit using the manuals as best I could.

Then Rob moved out of the time zone and got caught up in a new job and hasn't got the time or patience to help me with all this stuff by phone.

So I've got all this gear that's almost but not quite talking to each other. I can often get sound onto the disk, but sometimes not out again. Haven't been able to get the keyboard talking to Mach Five, and either to put signal into DP4. I tried to do someone a favor and convert a cassette tape of her band to mp3s - sound goes in, but either doesn't record or won't play back, not sure which. The meters register, but not much more.

Bottom line, I'm a total amateur with more cash and gear than ability (same as my guitar playing, really), so I've got a bunch of stuff sitting idle, some tunes I've written and want to record, and the nagging feeling that I'm not all that far from making this work, but I'm not close enough.

My proposition: I will pay someone to walk me (by phone, on my nickel) through configuring the system to record audio using the mics, line-in using the AdrenalinnII or other, and midi tracks using Mach Five and the Radium. I'd trade a VStack Tweedy if that were appropriate for a couple of hours, or pay an agreeable hourly rate to whomever can get me to the starting line with all this cool pschitt I've been accumulating.

My ignorance knows no bounds. Once I get up and running, then I'll have to start figuring out how to make it all sound good, how to arrange, perform, mix, balance, etc. But right now I'm being blocked by the mechanics, so the fun kinds of experimenting are out of reach.

Anyone want to take on the challenge? Email (dkelly AT articulateimages DOT com) or respond here, let's schedule something. It'll probably have to be next weekend at the earliest - I'm tied up and traveling again this weekend. But if dealing with a well-meaning moron doesn't appeal to you, please pass on the opportunity.

Thanks for listening, and thanks in advance if someone feels like taking this on.

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Have you looked into a video training tape or a lesson-type after market book?

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

I'll give you all the tech support you want for a V-Stack Tweedy.
    :dude

I'm running DP4 and MachFive, been using DP for years, I'm sure I can get you up and running, if not you don't owe me a thing.

Drop me an email to pwdu7@aol.com.
    I'm on the west coast for another week or som then I go back home (UK)

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Unburst - got your email, and I'll be taking you up on it! You get me semi-functional, the Tweedy's yours. Unfortunately I'm on the road from Sunday thru Wednesday this week, on top of a commitment on Saturday, but if you'll be around after, life could be good? I could even handle a couple of early morning my time/late afternoon your time calls, if we can't hook up before you go back to the UK. I'll get back to you by email.

Basso - If there's a good book / video / dvd you (or anyone else) could recommend, I'd be all over it. I just haven't had the time (or maybe, just haven't TAKEN the time) to do the research.

I don't expect to produce anything of professional quality or mind-boggling wonderfulness, though I know the gear and software could take me pretty far towards that if I ever learned to use them even at a fairly shallow level. But I've been interested in record production since the first time I ever figured out that the concept existed. I just want to get deep enough into it to understand the issues, if not to surmount them. And preserve a tune or two for posterity. And throw the odd clip up when I get an interesting tone out of a guitar or amp, maybe.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Cool, I'm sure we can arrange something, I'm going back on the 25th so before that is better but transcontinental is cool too either by phone, email or instant messenger.