Mountain bike wrenchers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ford, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ford

ford Supporting Member

I have a 1996 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo ...

I'd like some handlebars with a bit of a rise.... something similar to this...
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Answer-Alumilite-Riser-Bar

Not looking for anything expensive. I'm just a casual rider these days.

I'm a novice when it comes to upgrading or changing out parts... I've had this bike for years and outside of tire changes and new chains, it is stock.

How many different size bars are out there? Will I need to buy a new stem/handlebar set or can I just find bars?

Is it hard to remove the grips and gear shifters from the handle bars?

I'm not going to put the fishsticks back on the ends of the bar... I just don't really use them.

I know it shouldn't be a difficult job but I know there are several riders here and I'll take any advice and tips I can get.

Thanks!

2. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

It's all dependent on whether your bike has a threadless headset riser and stem, or a quill stem.

You have a threadless system if the stem clamps around the fork tube. You have a quill if the stem fits into the tube.

Threadless is the standard these days, and all the stems and bars reflect this. The most common stem and bar combo is a 31.8mm, I believe, though they are getting bigger in diameter on downhill bikes.

Jenson is a great place to look for it. But a good local bike shop can sort you out also.

3. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

It has a threadless headset so it'll be a threadless steerer tube, which will be 1 1/8th inch in diameter. The handlebars are likely to be 31.8mm where they meet the stem (sorry for mixing units!) which is the most common. You can get 35mm so just avoid those. RaceFace do good, cheap handlebars. Width wise wider is better for trail riding at speed but gets unstable at slow speeds so can be unruly for climbing and not worth it unless you do technical stuff. Measure your current ones and consider going a bit wider, they can always be cut down.

Grips and shifters/brake levers will come off easily, I'd buy some new grips, lizard skins lock on ones are great and easy to fit, just make sure whatever you get is lock on. Swapping them over should be a 15 minute job. :)

4. echale3

echale3 Member

5. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Can't help you with this, just wanted to say don't sell your bike. I had an old Gary Fisher like this from high school and sold it recently and really regret it.

ford likes this.
  6. ford

ford Supporting Member

Thanks for the info people.

Good idea on the extension, but I kind of want some rise in the bars and they also come back a bit that way... looking for a bit more of an upright ride as I get older and less adventurous.

No plans to sell the bike. I'm the original owner. Its in pretty darn good shape.

I'm still on the original grips... and they are certainly worn and a bit slick, so I'll be changing those out.

7. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

If the fisher is 31.8mm clamp diameter, the bars in the Jenson link won't fit.

ford likes this.
  8. ford

ford Supporting Member

Good eye... I had actually caught that after given the 31.8mm info from another poster.

I found a Race Face Evolve 31.8mm bar on sale for 29 bucks.

9. 6inline

6inline Member

I have the exact same bike and still love it after all these years, although everything on it has been changed/upgraded except the headset.

I'm at the same place as you looking to replace the flat carbon bar I have with a riser bar with some sweep to it. I'm going to look into the raceface bar you went with. Wrenching on your own bike is fun and not all that hard. Part of the experience for me.

Not much different than the guitar hobby in that respect.

10. ford

ford Supporting Member

Yeah, I know this is some pretty simple stuff. I'm looking forward to it. Might finally get me a better seat after this... that Bontrager original seat from 96 is pretty old now! (I think I bought it in early 1997)

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Try pricepoint.com too.

Only caution is fit with bikes can be iffy. I tried a few bars before I decided what I really liked for my mountain bike. Sometimes a good shop can help you find the right stuff faster. Plus, I find they aren't that much more expensive than online.

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The bike has a thread less headset. If raising the height is something you are looking for, one inexpensive thing you can do is evaluate your stem. Is there a rise in the stem? You can easily take the stem and just invert it to see if the opposite way will allow for a higher stem angle than what it currently is. Or replace the stem with a different height/rise that will make it more comfortable. If the steerer tune is tall enough, you can add more tune extenders to also raise the stem height. Just a cheap alternative and a quick fix thought.

ford likes this.
  13. ford

ford Supporting Member

If I had a good local bike shop within twenty minutes of me, I'd head up there with it and see what they could do....

To get to one that has a really good shop, its about 45 minutes... I'd have to wait a couple of weeks before I could get up there most likely.

Pricepoint is a nice shop!

14. Fastermouse

Fastermouse Member

First be aware that if you put too much rise on you'll need to replace the cables too. The old ones may be too short.

But if you are just adding a little rise you may be able to follow these instructions.

Make sure your stem is the same clamp size as the bar. Use flat screw diver to lift up the grips a bit. Shoot either some WD40 or hairspray in there and twist. Loosen the stem clamp and loosen your brake levers and shifters. install the new bar. If you need to keep it loose so you can reinstall the shifters and levers. Spray the grips again. They will dry up pretty quick and either hair spray or WD40 will dry tacky and hold them tight. Make sure everything is tight. If you can tighten the bolts enough to strip them then they needed replacing anyway haha. JK but please make them snug.

ford likes this.
  15. Chadjohneto

Chadjohneto Supporting Member

Highly unlikely that a 1996 mountain bike has 31.6 stem. That kind of became a standard in the early 2000's. It is probably 25.4. I also wouldn't be surprised if the steer tube is 1" as opposed to 1 1/8".

If the bars are very have an even taper to the stem it is not 31.6. If it is they will have an obvious bulge. Loosen the face plate on the stem, slide the bars about an inchh sideways. Take a small strip of papear and wrap it orund the middle of the bars marking the points where it comes together. lay it flat and measure.

As stated above, if your bike was put together right, you will probably need new cables and housings if you introduce too much rise.

Really worth making the drive to a good shop. I owned 2 bike shopa and we had to break the bad news all the time that the "good deal" parts that were purchased were not the right size.

Good luck on you update of an old friend!

ford likes this.
  16. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

The spec clearly states it has a 1 1/8th threadless headset, mountain bikes have always been ahead of road bikes with these things.

17. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Trick to remove grips, blast a little compressed air underneath. I love my Lizard Skin lock on grips.
    Many estute replies have pointed out the possibility of cable length being an issue if adding a rise.
    I submit that if the cables have not been changed for almost 20 years, it might be worth new cables and housing. Not only will the new bars fit better, but the brakes and shifting will be improved and the overall look could be enhanced with some nice colored housing.

18. ford

ford Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll take it in and have it checked out!

19. ford

ford Supporting Member

Good point again!

Changing the cables out does make sense...

Ok, anyone in the Houston area have a bike shop they feel is superior to all others!?!

20. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Use hairspray to install the grips

ford likes this.