mounting mini hums in a P90 guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jzucker, May 20, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I have an edwards LP which has duncan P90 pickups. What do I need in order to mount a Lollar mini humbucker other than the ring and pickup?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Jack,

You need some spacers to go between the ring and pickup plate. About 1/2" - 5/8" in length. I've bought them at Ace hardware before. Lollar may sell them as well. Then you can use the same P90 screws and screw into new holes directly into the wood. The whole assembly of pickup and rings floats with the turn of the screw.

3. jzucker

Thanks Jack. However, on this guitar, the P90 is not held in with dog ears or end screws. It appears to be held in by 2 machine screws between the A & D strings and G & B strings.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

If I understand Jack Briggs's answer correctly, he is using a wood shim spacer and simply using the standard P90 screws into that. That will work, but the traditional Gibson method is to use a metal mounting plate that is tapped for the height adjustment screws. The template for that plate is here.

AFAIK, that plate was not currently available aftermarket, but that may have changed....some of the early Gibson plates were tapped for both P90 and mini's. If you look at what is in there now, they may be tapped as well, or you can tap new holes.

Hope that helps.

5. jzucker

Thanks fullerplast.

So if I understand correctly, you screw the plate into the guitar using the two P90 woodscrews and then use machine screws which screw into the two ends of the plates to adjust the height?

Hopefully, lollar has those plates.

Thanks again!

6. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I dunno, but if this will be your first experience with Lollar mini-hums then based on my experience with them I think you're in for a treat.

7. jzucker

Thanks Richard. Yes, this will be my first experience with them. By the way, it's a goldtop with a fat neck and will have mini humbuckers . Sound familiar? ;)

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Jack,

I know - that's a standard soapbar mounting. You take those two screws out (they're actually wood screws) and use them as I described above, but creating new holes for the minis (outside of the pickup frames). It helps to pilot the new holes with a 1/16" drill bit, but one must make the holes at the correct angle to prevent binding of the pickup in the rout. This is one way of mounting the minis wihtout the plates or bars that Gibson usually used.

Good luck!

BTW - check your email.

Cheers,