Mounting pedals UNDER Pedaltrain or other pedal board

andrewgreen

has anyone tried it? like mounting buffers or "always on" effects directly under the board?

i know it's silly ... maybe ... but to some, it may be a good idea.

thanks

Ed Reed

It's a buffer (MXR CAE 401) it's always on (boost turned to 0) and used to feed a volume pedal off to the side. I did add a strap of aluminum over it to help keep it in place, screwed to the front rail of the PT and some velcro underneath.

andrewgreen

It's a buffer (MXR CAE 401) it's always on (boost turned to 0) and used to feed a volume pedal off to the side. I did add a strap of aluminum over it to help keep it in place, screwed to the front rail of the PT and some velcro underneath.
very interesting. cool design! what do you mean by "to feed a volume pedal?" the tone loss because of the volume pedal maybe?

bump

analogmike

Platinum Supporting Member
Brilliant!!! Using a little dual loop box to switch a few subterrainean pedals would allow another pedal or two on my pedaltrain2.... maybe the Phase90 as I never mess with the speed knob. And maybe the pitchblack tuner could be put down there in a way so that the screen could be viewed between the PTrain slats???? THen I could fit the POG2 on my board instead of off on the side.

tonewave

I downsized (with most of my pedals still staying) from a pt pro to a pt2 by putting power supply, ep pre (always on) and a lehle splitter underneath.
I also saved space by putting the switches of the 2 barber launch pads (again always on) inside the pedals themselves which then gave me a 'shelf' to put other pedals on, ie mp swaw and turbo tuner.
all up on a pt2 I got something like 16-17 pedals including vol pedals, and loopers

heavy little bugger :)

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I have my Pedal Power2, Stereo splitter, BS2 buffer and a direct box for my power bridge mounted underneath the pedalboard. I never touch them so why have them take up space on the top of the board. It works out great.

andrewgreen

I downsized (with most of my pedals still staying) from a pt pro to a pt2 by putting power supply, ep pre (always on) and a lehle splitter underneath.
I also saved space by putting the switches of the 2 barber launch pads (again always on) inside the pedals themselves which then gave me a 'shelf' to put other pedals on, ie mp swaw and turbo tuner.
all up on a pt2 I got something like 16-17 pedals including vol pedals, and loopers

heavy little bugger :)
if you have pictures, i would love to see what you did. thanks.

bump

clc12rock

Gold Supporting Member
I just got a this1smyne(?) buffer and was wondering where to put it on my mini. I really hope it'll fit underneath!

Stormbringer

I had a Wampler Buffer always on underneath my PT2 and it worked very well. I used plastic ties. Maybe a Skreddy Lunar Module or Sunface - both of which have a low profile - on a loop would fit underneath it too.

Ed Reed

jakeddy, did you add some "levelers" up front to raise the board for clearance? That looks great BTW.
As a matter of fact yes, the pedal hit so I went to Ace Hardware and found some screw in feet, they have a nylon bushing that goes into the leg then the foot screws into that. It gave me a little more hight and let the buffer clear the floor.

We've kicked around doing various mods (I was among the first to ever mount a Pedal Power under a Pedaltrain) and have thought about stealthing Axess GRX4's under there as well to make a midi controlled remote pedal board. Like a Rackless Rack. I own a milling machine and one of those is just the ticket when it comes to modding metal. No one ever stepped up though. Maybe I need to do one. I have all the stuff.

tonewave

if you have pictures, i would love to see what you did. thanks.

bump
will try and get some pics up soon

the underside is no neat wiring thing though, as I throw new boards together all the time for different bands/gigs

I forgot to mention that the way I stuck things on the underside was with industrial velcro called dual lock, once its connected its quite hard to get off, which is good in this situation.

Ed Reed

While we're at it here's the way I mounted a couple of AC adaptors under my PT Jr. A little Velcro under them and the aluminum straps above makes them stay put.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
what and why did you mount underneath your board?
It depends...at one time I had a Bixonic Expandora set to "Explodo Tone" under the riser on my board...switched it on and off via a remote loop switcher...it made a wild ass noise and guitar geeks looking at my board had NO idea what I had just done!

Right now I have a Box of Rock under the riser set ON but only on the boost side, I switch it in and out with a looper that 's easier to get to and it frees up space on my board since I like a lot of room and since I never adjust it it's fine...I use it as a "go to 11" solo boost and it works very well...

I run a pretty big board but mostly becasue I like to have the room between pedals so using room under the riser has been GREAT for pedals that I never tweak and on my board I already have a loop/switcher strip I had built (by Loop-Master!) and there is an "extra" loop...I put a pedal in that loop and then mount a the pedal under the riser just like my Pedal Power II+ and Whamm-O...it's a "secret" weapon!

Trending Topics