Mounting Underneath a Pedaltrain (Power, Switchers, etc.) - Alternatives to Brackets and Drilling

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Trying to mount a Yankee HS-M24 Power Supply, and 2 Voodoo Labs Hex Switchers underneath a Pedaltrain, and was wondering if there are any solutions other than the brackets. I don't have a drill so I was planning on just using a bunch of Dual Lock which should hold the weight of the supplies and switchers...the only issue is that the way the bottom is laid out, the IEC power cable input isn't lined up with the opening on the back, nor are the loop buttons on the Hex...so I have to figure out a way to get the supply and switchers to the proper height hanging under the board, while attaching them.

Any ideas? I could always buy a drill and brackets if necessary, but looking for other solutions first.

MattLeFevers

I've had good luck with just industrial strength velcro (I have a noise gate pedal mounted underneath using the same velcro I use on top of the board and it's rock solid) but that would present the same spacing issues as your Dual Lock.

I guess you could glue a piece of cardboard or a metal plate or something down there to add height, and then attach the dual lock to that, but by that point I'd probably feel more secure just getting some brackets...

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone ever built a "base" for the bottom of a pedal train to mount things on and also keep the cabling protected. Imagining something like a plexiglass bottom. Has anyone seen or done something like this?

DaveKS

I've used poly binder material to do thin build ups, cheap and easy to cut by using a razor blade and ruler, just do heavy score into material and just bend and snap it off. Get some glue and build up layers so that when you put dual lock on both sides it comes out right height. It's usually just over 1mm thick.

s0215220_sc7

If you need over 1/4 just consider getting wood strips to do buildup and paint/stain them black. But wood starts adding weight.

At printing plant where I work we also have all kinds of materials like Sintra (expanded PVC), it's very light weight. But you need a saw to cut it and it can get pricy if your just buying in small quantities. If you check with places around you that sell plexiglass they will have expanded pvc sheeting and many will do the cutting for you.

6mm-Sintra-Black-Plastic-Mounting-Board.jpg

Here's solid expanded pvc sheets.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Pvc-Expanded-Dark-Gray-Sheet-PVC2X~~SH.php?vid=20170112211307-1p

denmalley

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone ever built a "base" for the bottom of a pedal train to mount things on and also keep the cabling protected. Imagining something like a plexiglass bottom. Has anyone seen or done something like this?
Yeah I've thought about making something like this, even just like a stretchy breathable cloth, attached with hooks to the corners of the board, to protect the underside might be nice to have.

Broomz

I used Dual Lock to mount my Cioks DC5 under my PT Metro and have zero issues. Granted its smaller and lighter, but the Dual Lock is very effective.
IMO the way the Cioks Link line, including DC5 (but not DC8 or DC10), screw-mount directly under PedalTrain without requiring any brackets or additional hardware is the cleanest, most solid way of attaching a power supply. Were you trying to avoid having to get a drill or do you dislike making holes in the board or is there some other reason to use DualLock instead?

Last edited:

chromewaves

for whatever reason the brackets on my PP2 didn't line up with the Pedaltrain 2, so I just used Dual Lock to stick it to the underside. totally secure.

Mike R.

IMO the way the Cioks Link line, including DC5 (but not DC8 or DC10), screw-mount directly under PedalTrain without requiring any brackets or additional hardware is the cleanest, most solid way of attaching a power supply. Were you trying to avoid having to get a drill or do you dislike making holes in the board or is there some other reason to use DualLock instead?

I had the Dual Lock so I tried it and it worked well. I wanted to see if it would work before I drilled. The length of the dual lock adhesive versus the weight of the supply gives me little worry that it will come undone.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like the pedaltrain brackets are going to be necessary to really do it right. The only thing I'm concerned about is that both my power supply and n XLR interface need to be an exact height so that I can plug into them in the back of the pedal train. Not sure if the bracket will align them correctly. Has this ever been a problem for anyone?

M

member 124523

Get a drill. Seriously...how does a person not have a drill?

Drill, hammer, duct tape, electrical tape, measuring tape, WD40, philips and flathead, set of wrenches, set of allen keys.

That's the minimum tools required to be an adult.

While we are on the subject, can you recommend a good drill? I'm long over-do to buy one, and I need to graduate from man-child to adult. Is it better to get a do-it-all drill/driver or two separate tools?

chrisross

While we are on the subject, can you recommend a good drill? I'm long over-do to buy one, and I need to graduate from man-child to adult. Is it better to get a do-it-all drill/driver or two separate tools?

Dewalt is the standard, and I like it. The new 20v max is what I use. I would recommend just the regular ole drill. For most projects that's plenty, no need for hammer drill unless you're planning on using it for concrete or impact if you plan on doing mechanical type stuff.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Got the universal pedaltrain brackets and doesn't seem like they're gonna do the trick either. Seems they have to be bent, and then if I mount my power supply or voodoo labs hex switchers on them, they aren't at the right heigh to the port in the back, so I can't plug in the power cable or access the buttons on the hex. Any ideas or suggestions?

nullin

Did you end up finding a solution? I have a Hex I need to mount and thinking about an HS-M24 for under my Pedaltrain Pro.

FbIsNotE

I have a piece of pegboard velcroed to the bottom of mine. Just a little peace of mind to make sure nothing snags any cables. It's also handy for storing my MIDI out cable which has one end attached under the board. No messing about under there to get the rig ready.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom