Move to an HX Stomp to replace tuner, looper, verb, delay, etc?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slide13, Sep 16, 2019.

1. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

So, here's my situation. I live in a one bedroom condo which means space is tight and I do not have a dedicated guitar space. I have two guitars out on stands in the hallway and I have my amp and a small(ish) pedalboard setup in my living room next to my couch. I run a single row, 24" board to keep things neat and tidy and not take up too much space.

Right now I go Brothers > AT+ > Arp-87 > Dark World > Monuments v2 > Mood > Ditto > Polytune2

So that's 6 pedals plus the looper and tuner. I've been thinking that the HX Stomp has a tuner and looper built in so if I went with that it appears I could run the HX Stomp and then 5 pedals. The HX Stomp seems like it could replace the Arp-87, Dark World, and Monuments. I would keep the other three pedals and be able to add two more.

I love the pedals I have, but because of space constraints I don't have room for everything I'd like. I'd really like to have either an EP Booster or my new Saturn VI harmonic booster as an always on. Then maybe add one more interesting drive or fuzz to go with my basic setup of the Brother and AT+.

I mostly use the digital delay on the Arp-87 for a pretty basic delay sound. The Dark World used to be almost always on with a little spring and then I'd use the Mod on the Dark side for some ambient sounds. Love that setting but I also love the reverb on the Mood and I use that for my ambient pad sounds a lot now anyway.

Think the HX Stomp would be a good move in this situation? Would you do it? And if you have done it in the past....were you happy with the move?

mdubya likes this.
  2. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

The Stomp’s looper would take one of your 6 available blocks in it, just FYI.

slide13 likes this.
  3. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

I just got an HX Stomp. The FX are really top notch.

As far as replacing your current pedals only you can decide.

You should go and try one to see if the FX stack up to your pedals.

kdm1218 and slide13 like this.
  4. slide13

That wouldn't be an issue, 6 seems like more than enough for my needs.

Is the looper pretty easy to use? Do you just assign it to a footswitch and use it like a Ditto?

kdm1218 likes this.
  5. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

I haven’t ever tried to use it, as my Stomp covers amp, cab, and wet effects for me, and that takes up my 6 blocks.

A quick peek at the manual shows that yes, assign to a footswitch. Then the LED changes color based on if it is recording, playing back, or overdubbing. Seems simple enough!

slide13 likes this.
  6. slide13

Thank you, that is helpful!

kdm1218 likes this.
  7. rorteh

rorteh Member

Coming from a Boss Rc-1, I’ve found the Stomp looper is very easy to use. I think it does 60 secs max, but that’s more than enough for me

8. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

I prefer to keep the Boss tuner on my board. Frees up a foot switch on the HX Stomp. Plus the Boss display is better for tuning.

9. mdubya

mdubya Member

Get a Helix LT. You will never have limitations again. :D

I currently have an AX8 and I rely on the tuner and the looper, heavily.

The only outboard pedals I have are drive pedals (various fuzzes, OD808, treble booster...). The options and scenarios are endless. So entertaining and so much fun for an at home player.

I have several monitoring options, but a pair of Presonus e4.5's are all that I really need. They are nothing short of incredible sounding at modest to loud TV volumes.

The HX Stomp would probably be just fine, aside from the limitations others have mentioned.

10. 3205

3205 Member

I've been using a Stomp for 6+ months now. It's my amp, tuner, Whammy, and modulation. I am very, very happy* with it.

*please give us a new outboard spring tank algorithm, Line 6!

11. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

Dude, i'm in the middle of downsizing with my HX Stomp.

I'm going to end with a RAT2, ARP-87, Dark World, into HX Stomp. I'll use the Stomp for extra drive, any pitch stuff, modulation, Amp/Cab, Stereo Delays and Reverbs.

12. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I can tell you that the HX Stomp replaced everything on my main board except all dirt pedals and phaser (and Drybell Unit67) is what I can tell you yes I can.

13. slide13

Interesting to hear that you're going to keep the Arp-87 and Dark World with the HX Stomp. Is it the Dark side of the DW that keeps it on board? What about the Arp-87?

14. tanee

tanee Member

I'll share my Helix experience with you and hopefully it'll give you some insight. My original board was pretty modest but consisted of Strymon Delay's and Reverbs with some form of a boutique overdrive into a Vox handwired ac-15. I originally bought native to share demo's and was floored with how good the amp modeling sounded. Side note, I ended up using native for my amp sounds on the latest record I produced! It's not perfect but sounds way better than anything I could record or any live sound I've obtained. I'm sure a professional sound engineer could do better with a real amp, awesome mics/preamps but I can't say those types of people/gear are usually available at my level of profession.

Right away I went out and bought an HX Stomp and then shortly after I went to the LT model and sold all of my effects. About 6 months later I am now reconsidering going back to the HX Stomp and buying delay and reverb pedals again. I am unimpressed with the reverbs offered by Line 6. It's either, "I hope you're into ambient reverbs!!!" or, "I hope you thought M series reverbs were great!!!". There isn't a good middle ground with reverb. When it comes to delay, I've always had an issue with Line 6's delays not sitting right in the mix for me. I wish I could pinpoint the issue, but I can't and I have better luck with dialing in sounds with the El Capistan.

That being said, I still think the amp, overdrives, and distortion modeling is very impressive and convincing! I'm not 100% into the fuzz, but I'm not much of a fuzz guy myself.

Long story short, in my opinion, I would not sell all of your pedals. Hope this helps!

slide13 likes this.
  15. slide13

Super helpful, thanks for sharing your experience, especially with the reverbs and delays because that is what I would be using it for the most.

16. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

I despise the tuner on the Stomp, but others seem to like it. I kept my PolyTune on the board.

danieloux and slide13 like this.
  17. tanee

tanee Member

I would be one of those people who don't mind the Tuner. I like it a lot more than Eventide's H9 tuner.

18. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

The Stomp has slowly but surely devoured the rest of my pedalboard. Now only a couple of overdrives remain.

kdm1218 likes this.
  19. 65inside

65inside Member

I sold the Polytune, TC flashback and looper.
    Could probably replace my overdrives but I like them and it's more free blocks and less stuff to program.
    I kept my fuzz and the Supatrem. I won't replace them.

kdm1218 likes this.
  20. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I love the Stomp. I do use a Polytune so I have 3 switches on the Stomp like others have said.I use everything from the Stomp but I run a Mini Red Snapper into the Stomp. I have the Helix expression pedal for volume/wah. That’s it. I own other delays and overdrives but I don’t use them. The Stomp is that good.

kdm1218 likes this.