Moved on from CS69's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by candid_x, Feb 10, 2012.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I'm considering a set of CS69's, but am hesitating for two reasons: 1) no RWRP in middle position, and 2) missing a hotter bridge pickup.

So, for those of you who have had CS69's and have since moved on, what were your reasons, and what did you switch to?

Did the amp you played through play a role in your decision?

And, did you find rock distortion tones attainable through the bridge only position, assuming your tone control was wired to the bridge pickup?

Thanks.

2. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

They came with the guitar, but they didn't stay. Thin and too bright. Replaced with Burns mini Trisonics: warmer, richer, clearer and virtually noiseless.

3. candid_x

Appreciate the input.

4. lordofthethighs

lordofthethighs Member

I have them in my CS '69 Time Machine. I dig them. I dig them so much
    that I hung a set of them in my CS body / Warmoth neck partscaster. They
    really nail the Strat tone that I hear in my head.

True, all three pick-ups have the same resistance reading. If you're looking
    for vintage tone, then '69s will get you there, from a pick-up perspective.

Just my 2¢ :hiP

5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I still have a set of 69s in my Monterey Pop Festival knockoff strat... mostly just because they make sense and they are supposed to be the right choices.

I have to agree that they are pretty thin and bright sounding. The #2 and #4 positions aren't really exceptional, but I don't hate 'em. I used to have them in two guitars but switched the other set out for, eventually, a set of Duncan SSL2s. I wouldn't say they are very similar, but in the same general ballpark though the SSL2s definitely sound better in #2 and #4 in my opinion and are RW/RP.

Having said all that, I lean more towards the darker and more syrupy type strat tones. The SSL2s and the CS69s aren't my favorite sets by any stretch, but they make for a nice contrast to the darker and more complex-sounding CS54s and Duncan Antiquity IIs.

6. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I still keep them in the middle and neck, but went with a Duncan SSL5 in the bridge for a little extra bump and fatness (think Gilmour).

7. candid_x

Thanks again for your input guys.

I tend to have leaned toward more modern sounding pickups, just because they're more versatile overall. Yet I've not been especially happy with certain compromises either, such as Fralin Blues. My '08 AmSt is a bit on the dark side, even after releasing the middle pickup from the lower tone pot and wiring just to the bridge pickup, ala EJ and JV. It sounds fine to me through bright amps and speakers, however through my DRRI with a C-Rex, bridge pickup alone notwithstanding, it can use more brightness. I've been solving this simply by plugging in my 1x12 ext cab with a Pure64 SSll, which blends really well with the C-Rex and brings back the brightness. But for a single combo grab 'n go, I'd wind up grabbing my brighter sounding JV. Just considering some possible alternatives, one being the CS69 for the Am St. I realize there are dozens of other choices, but CS69's have been going for cheap lately. All things considered, I think I'll keep looking.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

Well, my Custom Dlx Strat has a mix of pickups that includes a 69 in the neck (black bobbin), a RWRP 69 in the middle (gray bobbin), and a Texas Special in the bridge. In my opinion, the sound is stellar. The neck in particular gives those chimey, bell like Strat tones that I love and the bridge is versatile enough to cover the range of styles I play (classic to modern). I don't use position 2 and 4 all that often, but it can be really fun for the blues when the mood strikes. Admittedly, I'm not a big pickup swapper (I always feel like I go around in circles when I swap pickups), but I think this combination yields all the quintessential Strat tones that I'm after.

9. candid_x

That sounds like an interesting combination. RWRP middle C69's must be rare to come by though.

10. dave s

dave s Member

Don't know why, but the Limited Edition CS '69 Heavy Relic release in '06 were outfitted with Fat 50 pickups. Given the ash body and maple 1-pc necks, the pickups live up to its name of "Fat." Shimmery on the top end, but not a hint of 'ice-pick' going on with the Fat 50s in the '69 heavy relic models.

dave

11. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

Bill Lawrence Keystones are bright, loud and punchy. And very quiet for true single coils.