1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Movie fanatics - finding the Easter eggs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by spotmandeux, Jan 3, 2018.

1. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

I like all kinds of movies/shows but love the more cerebral ones that plant Easter eggs for you to find throughout. Clever is always fun.

Share some Easter eggs you’ve found in various films and TV shows. Explain it or just show a picture and let the rest of us figure out the significance ourselves - GO

Here’s one of my faves of the several in the HBO series Westworld

[​IMG]

Hush likes this.
  2. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

3. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

There is a great one from Aliens - the second Alien film, and Bladeruner - the original one, that was done to save time and money.

4. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

What was it?

5. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

The screans from all the cars/verhicles in Bladerunner were also used in Aliens, the most famous and easy to find is the ''Purge'' screan seen on the screen in the drop ship ftom Aliens and when Deckard's car is landing.

Here is a bad youtube clip I managed to find that shows the screens being shared between the films:

Then there is the whole theory that the Alien franchise and the Bladerunner franchise are both set in the same universe - one of the things you learn dating a super nerd.

spotmandeux likes this.
  6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Am I the only one who has not a clue what an "Easter egg" is?

sixstringfuel and derekd like this.
  7. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

He also poops jelly beans, so all's cool with clean up.

8. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

Sorry, guess I should have clarified. Easter egg is a little thing the writer puts in a movie, usually difficult to notice that has a significant tie to another movie or something that relevant to pop culture. Sometimes they are clever connections like the one I showed above with the gunslinger from the Westworld series. It was only a 2 second shot as one of the characters walked past it but it's significance is it's the same costume and pose and Yule Brenner's character form the 1973 movie. A lot of people wouldn't have noticed it but some do and it's a cool nod to the original. A lot of times directors will put in a little egg from one of their previous movies. Some don't make sense but they're there for people to stumble across ;like the carpet in the hallway of the original Toy Story is the exact same pattern as the carpet in the hallway of the Shining. No connection but they do it on purpose just to see who will notice.

9. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Easter Egg = the new one weird trick:dunno

10. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

[QUOTE="

Then there is the whole theory that the Alien franchise and the Bladerunner franchise are both set in the same universe - one of the things you learn dating a super nerd.[/QUOTE]

I heard something similar. There was also the obvious egg in Predator 2. At the end in the Predator spaceship they have a quick shot of an Alien skull in the trophy case foreshadowing the merge of those two franchises which would come out in a comic book a few years later then eventually a movie.

11. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Yes. Predator 2 did a lot to add to the thoughts that both franchises are set in the same universe, including introducing the spear tipped with the spike from the alien's tail, the predator huntor's markings/scarification. Though to be honest I've always prefered the original title for Bladerunner, ''Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep''. It's the same with Total Recall, I prefer the oroginal title better, ''We Can Remember It For You Wholesale''.

spotmandeux likes this.
  12. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

Wow, good one

13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What's the difference between an "Easter Egg" and an homage?

sixstringfuel likes this.
  14. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

From the shark movie Deep Blue Sea. They pull this license plate that was stuck on the side of a tiger sharks mouth.

[​IMG]

That's the same plate as the one pulled out of the tiger shark in the original Jaws. A little nod to the master of the shark genre.

[​IMG]

15. spotmandeux

spotmandeux Member

I don't know. I'd say an Easter egg is a physical item or quote that really doesn't need to be there and an homage is more of a general overall tribute to a similar movie.

realmacaroni and A-Bone like this.
  16. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have dozens of cross and self-referencing Easter eggs. Lucas' fist film was THX 1138. 1138 reappears many times in the Star Wars universe. When Han and Luke are in Stormtrooper gear transfering Chewy they are transfering him from block "one one three eight".

spotmandeux likes this.
  17. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

One of the Pixar honchos is a huge The Shining fan and so the Toy Story universe has many Easter eggs nodding thereto:

teofilrocks and spotmandeux like this.
  18. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Not to mention that all Disney cartoons or movies and Pixar ones feature Mickey Mouse's head hidden somewhere in the film. In The Lion King for example Micket Mouse's head is ''hidden; in the sky close to the start of the film and made up out of two or three clouds.

spotmandeux likes this.
  19. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

All Easter eggs are an homage but not all homages are Easter eggs. Venn diagram territory.

shane88 and A-Bone like this.